Import C4D object and make it procedural in Houdini?

507   0   0
7 posts
Hello!

I'm in the process of learning this wonderful software and implementing Houdini to my C4D workflow. One thing I've seen that Houdini does exceptionally great is procedural effects and manipulating/animate an existing object. But it comes with some downsides for someone like myself who haven't used Houdini to much and not comfortable modeling in it.

Let's say I want to make a commercial for a product and animate the product in Houdini.

My thinking for this was:

1. Model a product (say a flashlight for example) in C4D. Here I would model each part separately so, for example, I save the flashlight in 3 parts (the handle, the lens and a bulb inside).

2. I bring it into Houdini and split up the 3 parts of the flashlight into 3 different parts in Houdini.

3. Make a procedural effect (example; having the flashlight become larger, smaller, thicker, thinner and so on…).

Would this be a possible workflow? I'm sorry if this is a simple question but I haven't found any tips on how to do this yet.

I want to learn to model in Houdini as well, but I was thinking that this workflow could help new Houdini users coming from a program like C4D.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links