Unity terrain generation & input changes (Houdini 18.0.418)

3463   6   0
571 posts
For the Houdini Engine for Unity plugin, there have been significant changes to how Unity terrain is generation from height fields, and also how height fields are generated from Unity terrain (as input). Most notably, the plugin now relies on use of Corner sampling, instead of the default Center sampling, for height field nodes. It also requires height field size and grid spacing values to be exactly power of 2. This will produce the best match in terms of size when translating from Houdini height field into Unity terrain, and vice versa.

Please see update documentation here:
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unity/_terrain.html#Terrain_Size [www.sidefx.com]

The plugin now ships with a sample HDA that lists the recommended parm values for height fields, located in:
Assets/Plugins/HoudiniEngineUnity/HDAs/TerrainGenerator.hda
Edited by seelan - 2020年3月30日 09:37:00
17 posts
The change only in the latest version? When will the new version be released? I want test the new feature,maybe will fix my issue.
571 posts
It was updated in Houdini 18.0.418, so any latest daily version will have it. Get it here:
https://www.sidefx.com/download/daily-builds/#category-devel [www.sidefx.com]
17 posts
Hi,seelan.

I have tested the sample HDA examples.If I use split function. The boundaries will overlap.Is that a bug?

Attachments:
7.PNG (262.3 KB)

571 posts
Yes there is a tile overlap value on the height field node meant for seamless edges.
17 posts
I have tested the overlap value. It doesn't work with unity.I guess if change the value, The size does not satisfy the rule.(power of 2+2)

Is there any way to export the unity modified HDA file to the bgeo. Sc file?I kept only the changes in Houdini for each export.

I want to export the split tile in bgeo. Sc format.Then reload with file nodes in Houdini,And finally merge them.The goal is
multi-people can work on different tiles.But now I have obstructive problems.
Edited by Dean_Lv - 2020年4月3日 10:14:24

Attachments:
GIF24.gif (4.3 MB)

571 posts
I fixed the overlap issue. Could you please try with 18.0.496 or newer? If you still have an issue, please submit a bug report to support@sidefx.com with an example HDA or bgeo file. Thanks.
  • Quick Links