Find where a parameter is being called/evaluated ?

828   2   0
79 posts
Is there a way to find where inside an HDA or a Subnetwork a specific parameter is being called/evaluated?

I'm playing in someone else's HDA and I don't have access to the author anymore, so I'm trying to wrap my head around certain behaviors he implemented so I can tweak a few things. The problem is, his HDA is very complicated. It contains lots of VEX, lots of Python, a ton of nodes and subnets with a ton of expressions all over the place.

The truth is, I don't need to fully understand every subtleties that's happening inside. There is a toggle in his parameters that changes the behavior of his tool, and I want to adjust it a bit. So I'm trying to find where inside his HDA that parameter is being referenced so I can go directly to the area of interest to me… I just don't know how to trace my way through his set-up to find where he evaluates this parameter. Is it called in an Attribute Wrangle? Is it called inside a Python node? Maybe it's evaluated on an expression on another node's parameter?

I'm just wondering if Houdini has any tool to help us trace a specific parameters' dependencies?
8538 posts
RMB on a parameter/More/View Dependencies…
you can directly jump from there to nodes that contain references, etc

EDIT: maybe just worth noting that this will follow only proper dependencies and expression channel references among parameters, directly evaluated parms from Python SOP or VEX don't create dependencies, so during tool design it's pretty useful to always have local parms on Python SOP or Wrangle and have those parms reference external parms using expressions
Edited by tamte - 2020年3月31日 16:33:19
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
79 posts
Yeah… it doesn't find any dependencies so I'm guessing he pulls the data through a wrangle or a python node. I guess I'll have to do it the long way and go through every one I find.
  • Quick Links