Will there ever be Houdini Engine for Godot?

5634   6   3
13 posts
Godot is quickly gaining in popularity, and even though it's not on par with Unity/Unreal yet, it is an excellent game engine, pure joy to work with. I would really love to see Houdini Engine for it. Do you think that will ever happen?
636 posts
I played with godot and made a instance exporter as a test. In my view it would make sense to create the levels in houdini and export as .tsnc files.
636 posts
i updated my code currently there are at least 2 bugs where i have to invest more time into it. it uses gltf for the asset and i have to say a big THANK YOU TO SIDEFX for the gltf exporter.

can be downloaded:
https://github.com/Mandrake0/houdini2godot [github.com]
Edited by mandrake0 - 2020年4月8日 19:37:23
1 posts
mandrake0
i updated my code currently there are at least 2 bugs where i have to invest more time into it. it uses gltf for the asset and i have to say a big THANK YOU TO SIDEFX for the gltf exporter.

can be downloaded:
https://github.com/Mandrake0/houdini2godot [github.com]

Could you tell me how to install the houdini2godot

I set the houdini.env,and export with Godot_scene_exporter,errors occurred like this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<stdin>”, line 1, in <module>
File “opdef:/Object/godot_scene_exporter?PythonModule”, line 35, in cookNode
File “opdef:/Object/godot_scene_exporter?PythonModule”, line 19, in copyFile
IOError: (2, ‘No such file or directory’, ‘/godot/template/instance/instance.gd’)

Maybe some steps has missed,but I don't know how to install completely.
Thank you very much,love this Houdini2Godot!
636 posts
Use the houdini2godot.json file move into package folder.
Edit the file paths in the file and it should find the python class.

You can test it in the houdini python panel.

Import houdini2godot

if there is no error then it should work.

NOTE: i have only tested under windows.
1 posts
曼德拉草0
I played with godot and made a instance exporter as a test. In my view it would make sense to create the levels in houdini and export as .tsnc files.
ok 你好,我是来自中国的设计师,我想需要godot能读取HDA文件的插件,因为这样就可以实时编辑和预览效果了。谢谢你。
636 posts
aidexiaojike
曼德拉草0
ok 你好,我是来自中国的设计师,我想需要godot能读取HDA文件的插件,因为这样就可以实时编辑和预览效果了。谢谢你。

YOUR MESSAGE: Hello, I am a designer from China. I think I need a plug-in for godot to read HDA files, so that I can edit and preview the effects in real time. Thank you.

the complexity to create a plugin with support and everything else is a lot of work. the idea was to make everything in houdini and then export the scene into godot. the advantage is if you want to support another game engine or use it with three.js it takes just a fraction of code changes and time.

For Effects and Animation there are no plans to support it because depending on concept it is a bigger task. but gltf can be exported from houdini to godot.

Note: there is also a small fix in the godot instancer code, it should show now the scene in the godot editor.

Edited by mandrake0 - 2024年3月31日 19:18:07
  • Quick Links