Is there any simple way to hold/freeze a point position?

2396   4   1
15 posts
In order to get more and more familiar with Houdini I sometimes just start trying to create an effect that comes to mind and this one has me stumped even though I thought in theory it should be pretty simple.

The premise is that I have a few particles from a popnet simulation. Afterwards I change their color to red over time and offset the color change animation randomly per point. Once the point is fully red I split them off to a different group. Now comes the part I have trouble with. Once they are added to the different group I'd like them to hold the position they have been at and not move any further.

Normally this would be easy with a timeshift node but since the group transition happens in random increments I don't have a specific frame to work with.

Is there any way in vex to tell each point when it enters the new group not to change their current @P value and basically freeze in place?

Any help would be appreciated
143 posts
Hello !
For This kind of “time dependent” situation i think you will need a solver (simple sop solver)
and just copy position from incoming slot 1 if not in group otherwise take previous frame position..

Benjamin
15 posts
Hello Benjamin.

Apparently I was under the wrong assumption how prev_Frame inside the solver sop works. Your solution worked perfectly. Thank you for your help!
Edited by ralphr - 2020年5月19日 09:24:12
1 posts
@
Benjamin Lemoine
Hello !
For This kind of "time dependent" situation i think you will need a solver (simple sop solver)
and just copy position from incoming slot 1 if not in group otherwise take previous frame position..

Benjamin
Hello Benjamin!

I'm trying to do what you said but is not really working for me. Could you sheare a basic file with an example pls. I'm still a rookie trying to learn how to do this kind of technical things.

Thanks!
143 posts
Hello
i don't know if it's simple enough but maybe you will get the idea
as if i absolutely don't know what you are trying to achieve !

Attachments:
solver_freeze.hiplc (177.1 KB)

• Quick Links