Vellum cloth slow down over time?

1859   2   0
96 posts
Hi,

I just wanted to check in to see if anyone had seen Vellum Cloth slow down over time over the course of a several thousand frame shot? The sim starts at just under a second per frame and without any visible crumpling or issues that would seem to cause slower performance it ends up at 6 seconds per frame after a couple of hundred frames. This would not be a big deal, but over the course of thousands of frames any optimization would go a long way.

Thanks,

Adnan
8513 posts
in general I don't think the per frame times for exactly the same scenario would be different later in the sim, but several factors can play role

let's assume your geo is constant, with no obvious reasons to take longer (like adding geo/constraints over time or activating some microsolvers later in te sim, etc)
the biggest factor may be the amount of collisions/self collisions it has to resolve on a particular frame, which can be the case in a lot of sims as the vellum objects are closer together, resting on each other or being pushed around by colliders, or worse, points becoming stuck and stretching therefore constantly forcing the collisions that need to be resolved, etc…

you can have a look at the performance monitor to debug and see on later frames what takes longer compared to the earlier for example
Edited by tamte - 2020年5月20日 16:02:57
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
96 posts
Thanks Tomas! I think it is time to dive into the performance monitor and some of the visualizers.
  • Quick Links