Primitive matching patterns issue

2826   4   0
6 posts
Hi all, i saw the help says:
“In a path pattern, * matches any number of characters (in a name), ** matches any number of levels of hierarchy, ”,
so i tried the expression like
/**/B* - /**/Book_2
and
/**/* - /**/Book_2
in a prune node's primitive pattern. The first expression give me desired results(match all books except Book_2), but why second expression seems like it matches all prim in usd.
Can someone point out?
Thanks!
8525 posts
it's probably because /**/* matches also the parent primitive of all of the books
so no matter that one of the child books is set to active, if the parent prim is not active none of the children are

you can use Exclude Primitives multiparm to exclude your Book_2 instead of subtracting it in Target Primitives pattern
Edited by tamte - 2020年5月20日 08:57:43
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
235 posts
Doesn't /** basically mean “everything” recursively? So /**/* is like saying “search for anything and find anything immediately inside it” which will give you literally everything in the scenegraph.
- Tim Crowson
Technical/CG Supervisor
8525 posts
Tim Crowson
Doesn't /** basically mean “everything” recursively? So /**/* is like saying “search for anything and find anything immediately inside it” which will give you literally everything in the scenegraph.

I think the expectation was that - /**/Book_2part would remove that one book from everything
but as I mentioned to my understanding, it will be pruned just because it's parent still stays matched
but Exlude Primitives should work
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
6 posts
tamte
it's probably because /**/* matches also the parent primitive of all of the books
so no matter that one of the child books is set to active, if the parent prim is not active none of the children are

you can use Exclude Primitives multiparm to exclude your Book_2 instead of subtracting it in Target Primitives pattern
Ok, thank you, i've got that. The parent override it's children. It's not cool >_<.
  • Quick Links