Object disappears during Polygon Extrude action

3099   6   1
1 posts
I am very new to Houdini and am following the beginner soccerball tutorial. I create a box and type s > 4 > n to select all primitives. I then go to Model > Polygon > Polygon Extrude and enter Distance: 0.4. The box completely disappears and I cannot get it back.

Please help.
555 posts
a soccerball from a BOX ?

anyway, i did search and sure enough, some dude started from a box…then he did a switcharoo for a soccerball platonic less than a minute in…Snorrrrt.

anyway, just use a platonic, get it over with and spend the rest of your time exploring polyextrude.

340 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/houdini-foundations-book/ [www.sidefx.com]
Page 48. Note that in this tutorial, they map the platonic onto a sphere with the ray node, which helps maintain the spherical shape. The book is written for an older version of Houdini, but works perfectly in version 18.

Similarly, see
https://vimeo.com/142494487 [vimeo.com]
Edited by Island - 2020年5月22日 21:35:10
4 posts
Got it. There are two principled shader and principal shader core. Former one is to be used.it wasted a lot of time to figure it out.
4 posts
In part 9 step 02
Once I disconnect the 3 lights. Then again connect them as written in pdf. The ball isn't there. I tried to check display of all the nodes but unable to figure out.
Maybe I have to undo and start over.
Edit
It's done. So basically when we add reference node. Then choose soccerball_anime.usd, we can see the ball again.
The previous ball can be seen if we on display of karmarendering node.
Edited by Ra138 - 2023年5月16日 11:23:48
4 posts
Animation speed of my soccer has decreased after part 9. How to correct it.

Will move on to complete part 10 Set up a rigid body simulation.
4 posts
I completed this tutorial. I just need perfection in camera and lights part.
  • Quick Links