Houdini Full Screen still shows Win10 taskbar?

7199   17   2
40 posts
Am I crazy or before I upgraded to Houdini Indie did Houdini cover the taskbar when going full screen?

Or does it always show the taskbar (Windows 10, and it's not locked)

I thought I could go true full screen.
Edited by KZLCR - 2020年6月2日 18:27:02
555 posts
enable auto hide taskbar in desktop/tablet mode ?
7747 posts
Houdini can't go fullscreen, that I know of.
555 posts
with taskbar, then full screen.

Attachments:
taskbar.jpg (292.3 KB)
Fullscreen.jpg (279.7 KB)

4500 posts
jsmack
Houdini can't go fullscreen, that I know of.

No it can go full screen using Qt hiding everything, even the taskbar, and even Nvidia thinks it's a “game” after going full screen.

window = hou.ui.mainQtWindow()
hou.ui.setHideAllMinimizedStowbars(not window.isFullScreen())
if window.isFullScreen():
    window.showMaximized()
else:
    window.showFullScreen()

I submitted this to SESI to add to Houdini so people can go in and out of full screen mode easily. All modern apps have this feature to allow fully immersive experience.

Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
2038 posts
“with taskbar, then full screen.”

It doesn't work if one prefers their taskbar at the bottom. It leaves a blank space.(Using auto-hide taskbar property)
40 posts
animatrix_
indow = hou.ui.mainQtWindow()
hou.ui.setHideAllMinimizedStowbars(not window.isFullScreen())
if window.isFullScreen():
window.showMaximized()
else:
window.showFullScreen()

Wow thank you so much! I'm going to try this once I'm home!!
40 posts
BabaJ

It doesn't work if one prefers their taskbar at the bottom. It leaves a blank space.(Using auto-hide taskbar property)

You are correct about the blank space!
555 posts
BabaJ

if that's the case then having a closer look, it didn't work for my vertical case either, there's the same blank line at the bottom with the brain in the corner. (one might argue, well if the brain is there, then it's not a blank line).

Now having another look at Animatrix's screen….no blank line BUT, no brain either…so if SESI goes this way….sooner or later, someone will complain they don't have their brain.
Edited by vusta - 2020年6月3日 18:29:10
7747 posts
vusta
Now having another look at Animatrix's screen….no blank line BUT, no brain either…so if SESI goes this way….sooner or later, someone will complain they don't have their brain.

Looking at Animatrix's screen is an easy way to lose your brain.
555 posts
ahhh…the blank line has a purpose….

if you hover mouse over the timeline, there are help messages popping up on the blank line, there could be other similar uses for it ?

it is a bit of wasted space tho…but…meh….one line, alright alright there are ppl who work with tiny screens.

Houdini with tiny screens ?????? you're doing it wrong
85 posts
The funny thing is that there are free and open source alternatives which are far ahead in terms of UI/UX.
I highly recommend to use Linux for work, here is what I wrote for 3D Artist mag in a Houdini tips article:

FULLSCREEN MODE
Usually a work session in Houdini takes a while, so in most of the time
we don’t need the interface elements of the operating system. On
Linux it’s easy to go fullscreen, the KDE environment offers it in the
titlebar’s right click menu. In the System Settings we can also bind
shortcuts to any UI actions like this. In comparison customizing the
other two OS feel extremely restrictive, but at least after decades of
user requests macOS finally ships with an optional Dark Mode. It
matches with Houdini’s native colour scheme, thus the menubar at
the top doesn’t feel like an interrogation lamp.

It's also safer, much more reliable and faster.
The “easy” Linux distributions (ie *ubuntu *=X, K, - , and other mutations) feel less geeky than the usual windowshack solutions, like this script. You can put any window to fullscreen, and you don't need to wait for years when devs of the software are gracious enough to implement this very basic feature, or scrutinize forums for workarounds (I also sent few RFEs to SESI a long time ago, including the help system dark mode… [www.sidefx.com] )

I recommend to check Blender, the new version just came out. So can be a free software far ahead in many aspects (not just UI/UX) compared to the multi-thousand dollar ones?!

p.s.: Blender supports different levels of fullscreen modes a long time ago, on all platforms, with menu/statusbar/etc hiding, so you can easily get pure viewport but nothing else, like a painter's canvas…
artstation.com/scivfx
40 posts
xilofoton
It's also safer, much more reliable and faster.
Linux is faster for Houdini? I can't switch to Linux for another year at least, but how significant is the speed increase? Is it the rendering that benefits?
85 posts
Didn't hear about that? Moment of truth (quickly found this, but if you search here and on OdForce, yo'll see results with Houdini too):
artstation.com/scivfx
4500 posts
Anyone is still able to use Qt fullscreen?
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

85 posts
⚠ CAUTION
TASKBAR & TITLEBAR
RADIATION HAZARD

They should ship Houdini with this placard

In Linux KDE you can set in the window tweaks panel to remember fullscreen. Next time it will start without the dropdown misalignment (I read your comments on Gumroad). But then all the popups go fullscreen, which is sometimes fun (older no window but panel Flame experience) sometimes annoying.
I submitted an RFE a long time ago: it should be the same as with MPlay, F11 for fullscreen (you can have systemwide shortcut in KDE). Hopefully the UI will be more EPIC (check announcemet) in the future (and UE5 editor should get less fancy icons).
artstation.com/scivfx
28 posts
I am new to Houdini and I don't know what to do with your script.
Where do I type it, where do I execute it?

Anyways, the themes are not downloading, even crashing Houdini.
The lack of fullscreen makes me realize how advanced and professional Blender has become.
Houdini feels like a better version of Lightwave in term of UI.

10 years ago I was really impressed with the Houdini UI, but now, it feels old compared to the free 3D software.

I really want to give Houdini a chance, but my first impression is that it is a legacy 3D software.

When I work on a 3D software, I need to be immersed and I hate loosing 10% of my screen to Ubuntu's toolbar + windows title bar + ubuntu top bar.
Edited by MarquisDeSang - 2022年8月25日 18:51:38
4500 posts
MarquisDeSang
I am new to Houdini and I don't know what to do with your script.
Where do I type it, where do I execute it?

Anyways, the themes are not downloading, even crashing Houdini.
The lack of fullscreen makes me realize how advanced and professional Blender has become.
Houdini feels like a better version of Lightwave in term of UI.

10 years ago I was really impressed with the Houdini UI, but now, it feels old compared to the free 3D software.

I really want to give Houdini a chance, but my first impression is that it is a legacy 3D software.

When I work on a 3D software, I need to be immersed and I hate loosing 10% of my screen to Ubuntu's toolbar + windows title bar + ubuntu top bar.

You can drag the script from any code editor inside Houdini onto the shelf bar and it will create an action there. You can then assign a hotkey to it from there.

• Quick Links