Official release of the Houdini Music Toolset (HMT)

6532   13   5
537 posts
This is the official release of the Houdini Music Toolset (HMT)!

Download and installation instructions as well as documentation can be found on Github [github.com]

I'm also releasing two tutorials
00 Installation and Sound Check

01 How to make a Simple Note

For the last 5 years I've been doing progressively more advanced music composition in Houdini. The mergers of music and visuals have been a life-long passion for me. In addition to teaching dynamics and FX in Houdini, I've also given selective talks and demonstrations on my personal music developments to groups like the Vancouver Houdini User Group, the Los Angeles Houdini User Group, and the Procedural Conference in Breda. I always experience an overwhelming amount of enthusiasm and a supportive community.

Here's my way of both saying thank you as well as furthering anyone who would also like to combine musical and visual art. The Houdini Music Tool-set turns Houdini into a powerful music making suite (a MIDI sequencer). Be sure to keep a look out for free weekly tutorials covering the tool-set and workflows.

Enjoy!
Edited by andrewlowell - 2020年6月5日 03:29:04
678 posts
Hey Andrew,

This looks super awesome! What a great idea! Thank you for sharing your work so generously!

Cheers
CYTE
7 posts
Hi Andrew looks awesome! I was wondering could this be reversed? -sound samples trigger ocean waves? I'm inquiring specifically about using an actual ocean wave recording, the amplitude generate larger waves and white noise intensity drives more white water or foam

I produce music as well but in this case I'm looking for nature sound to drive life into Houdini. The music aspect makes me think of things like cartoon character walking -a raised footstep making a synth then as it contacts with he surface a drumbeat.
i7 4Gz 32 Mb | RTX 2080 Ti | Houdini FX 18 | Fusion Studio | Sonar Platinum | Zbrush 2020 |
833 posts
How cool!!!
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
2036 posts
Hi Andrew looks awesome! I was wondering could this be reversed? -sound samples trigger ocean waves?

You can do this yourself by importing soundtracks into CHOPs, the in CHOPs work with those samples to get the output you want to drive whatever in your scene.
1 posts
Are you going to implement jeskola buzz features like machines or sth?
17 posts
Very cool Andrew, thanks!
Houdini FX 20 | http://techie.se [techie.se]
129 posts
Amazing and so useful work, thank you for sharing !
537 posts
lbabieno
jeskola buzz
No, I feel like a real-time application would be better suited for what I'm seeing here. The HMT is specifically for generating MIDI notes. That has a few disadvantages like Houdini's complexity and non-music specific workflows. But also has a large amount of benefits like the open architecture and the raw simulation abilities which could be applied in creative ways.

So yeah, no sound output. Just MIDI output.
537 posts
Thanks all! Glad you're excited and I hope you get some cool use from it. I've just released a new build which SESI has up-converted to master's license. Enjoy and thank you SESI

https://github.com/andrew-lowell/HMT/releases [github.com]

Also, be sure to check github for the latest HMT tutorials which I'll be releasing weekly.
Edited by andrewlowell - 2020年6月15日 21:21:29
89 posts
Hello Andrew, thanks a lot for sharing this.
Instructions are clear, I got everything running here (linked to FLStudio).

I can`t really see anything related to CC-midi. I`m not very familiar with midi protocol, but let`s say I want to control the parameter of a virtual synth, I need to use CC message right ? Is it something doable already ?
Edited by PaQ WaK - 2020年6月17日 11:06:58
Gameloft
537 posts
Good to hear its working ok! As far as controller channels, I haven't implemented those, maybe version 2. They're pretty straitforward though .. once you get a curve in chops just name it c45 for instance and merge before the midi out chop.

I've made a few nodes in the past that converted a animation channel into a controller but like I said; for HMT probably 6 months off. I want the workflow to be encompassing once its there. So I recommend for now maybe just chop merge/fetch the channels already generated by the chopnet of the hmt before the midi out, merge in your controller channels, then use your own midi out. Also make sure its either visible or forced to cook (see method used in otl)
89 posts
Hi Andrew,
Perfect, I will give a try !
Thanks for your time.
Gameloft
8 posts
Hi Andrew,

I don't know how I didn't see this before, thanks very much for sharing this, I haven't tried it yet but will do very soon.

It would be cool if you have some sort of string on the interface of the node that says which Pitch you have, I know you can see it as an attribute, but having something like C4 or B2 in the node itself would make it a bit easier in terms of workflow.

Having presets that allow you to select only notes within certain Key would be amazing too.

I can't wait to see what we can do with it.
  • Quick Links