HairGen Mirror Issue with asymmetrical topology

945   0   2
40 posts
Hi,

I have an issue with the hairGen node in Houdini 18.0.499. Bit of a complicated issue to describe, but I'll try my best.

I have two meshes which are identical shape wise, but different topology. Lets call them meshA and meshB.

meshA = symmetrical topology
meshB = asymmetrical topology

I set up my guides on meshA and when I switch my skin output in the “Guide Groom” node between meshA and meshB , the guides splines transfer and mirror perfectly fine. Next I am driving my hairGen node from the mirrored guides, however when I switch the skin input between meshA and meshB in the “Hair Generate” node, the hairs only perfectly mirror on symmetrical topo meshA and not meshB. The hairs only mirror perfectly with meshB if I choose “Extrude and Blend” and “Linear Blending” in the ‘Blending Method’ option does NOT work.

1. Does “Linear Blending” use the vertex information from the skin input to generate the hairs somehow?
2. How can I use “linear Blending” on an asymmetrical topology mesh and have symmetrical hairs?
3. Does ‘Linear Blending’ and ‘Extrude and Blend’ vertex info in a different way when generating the hairs?
4. Is this a bug or me not understanding the workflow properly?

Please see images below:

Attachments:
hairGenIssue01.jpg (759.4 KB)
hairGenIssue02.jpg (754.8 KB)
hairGenIssue03.jpg (724.0 KB)
hairGenIssue04.jpg (721.5 KB)

• Quick Links