Sparse Pyro Minimal Solver

2721   3   0
15 posts
So, I'm running Houdini Indie 18.5 (on win10, steam) and was excited to test the sparse pyro minimal solve. But when i tick the checkbox, spyro will try to solve for a nanosecond, then fails and disables the param again.
So um…are there any hardware requirements for the minimal solver? My gpu is a 780gtx 3gb…
7 posts
Hi, i think 3gb is to small amount… From my tests I see even on 8gb gpu you can do only simple lowres sims. Solver fill gpu ram really fast.
7759 posts
3GB is pretty small. That barely leaves any left for the sim. Also card is an older architecture, but I don't know what the cutoff is. Are there any errors in the console?
5 posts
nvki
So, I'm running Houdini Indie 18.5 (on win10, steam) and was excited to test the sparse pyro minimal solve. But when i tick the checkbox, spyro will try to solve for a nanosecond, then fails and disables the param again.
So um...are there any hardware requirements for the minimal solver? My gpu is a 780gtx 3gb...

According to the docs:

Minimal Solve

Turns off certain parts of the evaluation network to facilitate fast OpenCL solving that avoids data copying between main and video memory.

Warning

This is a utility parameter used by the Pyro Solver SOP to implement Minimal OpenCL Solve; however, that feature relies on several moving parts to work correctly. As such, you should not unlock or change value of this parameter on the Smoke Solver (Sparse) or Pyro Solver (Sparse) operators.
  • Quick Links