automatically load a static mesh into Houdini digital asset

3652   6   2
29 posts
Hello everyone, Hope you all are doing good!
So I've been trying to make My HDA to load an existing asset from my content browser in Unreal 4 so my HDA can replace a proxy box I created with said asset.
Kind of when you make Houdini read an existing Material from unreal to use in your HDA, but instead a material I want to load a complete asset from unreal to use within my system (static mesh+material+textures).
I know I can load it manually adding an object import and then selecting the object, but I want it to load the asset automatically without me selecting the object.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Attachments:
UnrealtoHda01.jpg (228.2 KB)

385 posts
The Extra Files section in the Orbolt asset guidelines page [www.orbolt.com] might help you.
57 posts
Try isolating the path from what is being pasted from the Copy Reference.

For example, if the following is what is pasted from the Copy Reference used in UE:

StaticMesh'/Game/Geometry/Meshes/1M_Cube.1M_Cube'

Then retain only the following portion as input into the attribute's string value in Houdini:

/Game/Geometry/Meshes/1M_Cube

This approach works for me when I use the unreal_instance point attribute.
29 posts
Hans Palacios
Try isolating the path from what is being pasted from the Copy Reference.

For example, if the following is what is pasted from the Copy Reference used in UE:

StaticMesh'/Game/Geometry/Meshes/1M_Cube.1M_Cube'

Then retain only the following portion as input into the attribute's string value in Houdini:

/Game/Geometry/Meshes/1M_Cube

This approach works for me when I use the unreal_instance point attribute.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Hello! , thanks for replying, well I did try the
unreal_input_mesh_name
and:
unreal_instance

attributes and the used the string value as you suggested but still can't make it to work .

Do you know of any video tutorials about how to set this up right?

I did a search but still no luck, thanks again man!
29 posts
Tanto
The Extra Files section in the Orbolt asset guidelines page [www.orbolt.com] might help you.

Hey! Thank you for your reply. , I really did not understand clearly what I should do after visiting your link, should I just replace the string in the attribute I created and type:

../..? + my Unreal asset name?

sorry I am still not very used to attributes handling.

thank you for your help .
385 posts
jorgelm23
Hey! Thank you for your reply. , I really did not understand clearly what I should do after visiting your link, should I just replace the string in the attribute I created and type:

../..? + my Unreal asset name?

Basically, you can embed your file in the asset by adding it in the Extra Files tab of the Type Properties window. Then you can refer to it inside the asset wherever a file name would be appropriate by using the section name (defaults to the file name without any path info, but you can change it) and typing
opdef:.?section_name
Edited by Tanto - 2021年1月15日 10:46:18
29 posts

Basically, you can embed your file in the asset by adding it in the Extra Files tab of the Type Properties window. Then you can refer to it inside the asset wherever a file name would be appropriate by using the section name (defaults to the file name without any path info, but you can change it) and typing
opdef:.?section_name

Well , thank you again for taking the time of explaining it to me .
I tried to do so but I could not make it work, then I thought that in any case if I am going to use the file inside the HDA I will just try to add a file node and link the FBX, then just add an unreal material node, I think that might work for what I want to do.

Have a great day!
  • Quick Links