Line+Sweep vs Grid

2302   3   0
7 posts
Dear all,

this is my first topic after a while using with Houdini.

My question is simple.

Playing with the combination nodes LINE+SWEEP, where the LINE is connected to both SWEEP input and in SWEEP I set the "second input as crossfade", i create a grid.

I know, I can have the same result using the simple GRID node :-) but my question is: from core Houdini point of view what is better? The simple GRID or the LINE+SWEEP?

I put this question because I realized that the SWEEP node has been implemented a lot and you could create a lot of model playing with all the SWEEP parameter and, for example, the ramp-scale. So, that's means the SWEEP will have an important role in the future?

That's all .. I'm curious to see your notes.

Ciao from Italy

Claudio
104 posts
I guess your question is not super clear, but I will try If you need something very simple, like just have a grid, or rows and columns, and you know the size of your area, the grid is just simple, no need for two nodes. I don't think this is going away, the grid node is super useful.
8506 posts
better is relative, that's why you have options
grid is faster, and depending on the mode it can be much faster, like in Points mode
so if it's grid you are after, there is no need to use sweep for that, unless it gives you some advantage, like different point ordering or uv directions that works better for or any other reason than just replicating what grid is already doing
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7 posts
thanks fir reply!
  • Quick Links