Poly extruding a line. (Yes you read it right)

6533   6   5
517 posts
Hi there,

I'm embarrassed to ask this question but I am having trouble poly extruding a line…

It seems to work with a curve but the line node doesn't. I was expecting it to make a poly like this -

I can work around it but it is hurting me not knowing why I can't get it to work.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

1737 posts
I assumed it was because the line lacked normals, but even adding point normals won't make the polyextrude extrude. Hmm.

Transforming the extrusion works though, check the attached screenshot.

Attachments:
polyextrude_line.jpg (51.9 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
517 posts
THanks man,
That works, I tried the same thing with normals with no success, I wonder what drives the direction?
1799 posts
mh… based on what you have here… perhaps the operator internally “closes” the curve to get a winding order? (which is not possible on a straight line?) what happens if you start with a straight line, then move the last point over a bit (to allow for an L shape) ?
-G
2 posts
I have the same issue. When you put transform node in between it appears randomly if moved or rotated. Somehow I think extrude does not know here to extrude the simple line.
474 posts
Hi,

it works for me (18.5.408), if you choose for extrusion mode (point normal and attribute), where the attribute should be a point vector attribute, which defines the direction. You can also change the length and it will effect distance. The orientation along curve will automatically give you v@up attribute.

Attachments:
line_extrude.hipnc (107.6 KB)

2 posts
Aizatulin
Hi,

it works for me (18.5.408), if you choose for extrusion mode (point normal and attribute), where the attribute should be a point vector attribute, which defines the direction. You can also change the length and it will effect distance. The orientation along curve will automatically give you v@up attribute.
Thanks, that's huge. But I was looking for a simpler solution. Usual DCC has a straight forward way of achieving just extruded spline. I think polyextrude with translate makes it more accessible. But thank you anyway!
  • Quick Links