Unable to run Houdini on a Mac

3110   5   1
1 posts
Hello

I wanted to try out the free version of Houdini on a Mac but I don't know how to launch the application.

I installed it and when I go to open `Houdini Apprentice 18.5.499.app` nothing happens. The logo is displayed in the dock but nothing pops up, no windows, no warnings. Right click shows the application not respondng and gives the option to `Force Quit`.

Opening `License Administrator 18.5.499.app` takes a long time but eventually it says it can't resolve a host name. I am not allowed to log in because free users can't manage licences, which I understand from the help section to be normal.

Can I even run Houdini?

Specs:

MacOS Mojave on a 2018 Macbook Pro
Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
GPU: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
39 posts
It does work, but it seems there can be some weird issues on Mac. I have mostly used linux for houdini, but recently got a 2010 mac pro and spent an hour tearing my hair out before I got it running on Big Sur. What worked for me was the turning on file sharing from this forum thread:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/70848/?page=1 [www.sidefx.com]

You will also want to make sure houdini isn't being blocked by the security/privacy settings.

Hope that gets you closer.
2 posts
I was running into the same issue man. My work around was re-installing License Administrator. Easiest way to go about is down the Houdini Launcher [www.sidefx.com]. In the launcher you can uninstall and then reinstall the License Administrator

next thing would be why are you still running 10.14? I'm running a 2016 Macbook Pro on BigSur with no issues.
2 posts
Here is the screen I get:

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 9.49.29 PM.png (133.8 KB)

833 posts
Never seen that before, maybe you should contact SideFX for assistance? What version of Houdini and MacOS are you running?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
1 posts
Did you manage to solve the problem? I have the same problem on MacOS Big Sur (Macbook Pro 2018).
  • Quick Links