Ripple Solver Issue

1549   3   2
7 posts
I have a simple ripple solver setup triggered by scattered points on a grid. Couldn't figure out why the grid seems to be slowly moving down in y direction throughout the sim. I have attached the scene. Appereciate the help
Image Not Found

Attachments:
Ripples.hipnc (131.4 KB)

355 posts
I think the ripple solver calculates the delta between the original geo and the rest geo for the ripples. In your setup, the position of the rest geo is animated and the Ripple object is set to 'Use Deforming Rest' (which is good if you want to say use some noise to deform the rest geo and add interest) so the change in delta cause the object to translate.

A better solution might to to update the ripple points as the sim runs. See example file.

Attachments:
Ripples_A.hipnc (176.2 KB)

hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
7 posts
miccetro
I think the ripple solver calculates the delta between the original geo and the rest geo for the ripples. In your setup, the position of the rest geo is animated and the Ripple object is set to 'Use Deforming Rest' (which is good if you want to say use some noise to deform the rest geo and add interest) so the change in delta cause the object to translate.

A better solution might to to update the ripple points as the sim runs. See example file.

Thanks for the solution. So just do the whole setup in the DOPs? I'm guessing the sop solver overrides the ripple object's input..
355 posts
Kishen
miccetro

Thanks for the solution. So just do the whole setup in the DOPs? I'm guessing the sop solver overrides the ripple object's input..
yeh you can just point the ripple object soppath and rest_soppath to the original grid in SOPS and then keep everything else in DOPS for this setup because I think it only brings in the geo from SOPS on the first frame and then after that everything else is DOPS geometry which is what the SOP Solver is updating at every timestep.
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
  • Quick Links