How to stop Houdini selecting points outside node?

1774   4   0
36 posts
Hello, I noticed Houdini has this feature that lets you select points not just on the selected edit node but any visible points in the geometry node and it will join all these nodes with an edit node if you modify them.

Is there a way to disable this feature so that it will only select points on the select edit node? it can be a butt pain for certain tasks.

If you compare to Maya, you have to select multiple objects before it lets you select their points in sub object giving you the option.
710 posts
Hi 3dspline, not sure if this is the situation but it sounds like maybe you're editing geometry with the Selectable Template flag set on some nodes. If you create geometry from the viewport or from the shelf, Houdini will automatically set the purple Selectable Template flag on your previously displayed node(s). This flag renders geometry as fully shaded in the viewport and also allows you to select and edit it along with the currently displayed node. If you grab and edit points/edges/primitives from the currently displayed SOP as well as SOPs flagged as Selectable Template, it will Merge the streams and append your Edit there.

If you want to avoid this you can Ctrl+LMB on any Selectable Template flags and set them to just plain Template (pink), which will render the template geometry as wireframe and make it unselectable. There are also Network View keyboard shortcuts for setting these flags on your nodes:

Display: r
Template: e
Selectable Template: w
Bypass: b
36 posts
Thank you DaJuice for the response!

You are correct that I'm using the display flag on, but its nice to have it on for my visual reference as I work, I find Houdini one of the best programs I've ever used for super fast concepting/blocking out an environment scene so perhaps its not a common use for Houdini but it is quite wonderful for that.

My work around right now is to put things into other geometry nodes then it won't do that, however if I want to copy and paste nodes between them at that point its just a bit slower going in and out of geometry nodes.
Not a big deal but if there is an option, would love the hear about it!
710 posts
That shouldn't be necessary, I'm sure it would get old real fast. You can control how Templated geometry is drawn in the viewport, take a look at the viewport display options ('d' in the viewport). For example you can set it show Template geometry the same way as Display geometry, or explicitly set the drawing style so it stays the same regardless of switching between shaded/wireframe/etc modes.

Attachments:
displayOptions.jpg (194.0 KB)

36 posts
Thank you DaJuice! That works!
I didn't realize that was an option since I was too focused on figuring out the selection thing, but it does the trick!
  • Quick Links