Generate multiple UDIM UVs on a simple mesh

6512   7   3
79 posts
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to automatically split a simple mesh into multiple UDIM UVs so I get a result similar to this image :

Since the mesh is just one big polygon island, everything I've tried seems to keep the mesh on the first UDIM tile. I basically want to be able to take a mesh and tell it, split it onto 30 UDIM tiles. Seems pretty straight forward, but I can't figure it out. How do I do that?

Attachments:
image_15.png (714.8 KB)

79 posts
Nobody has any suggestion on how to do that?
172 posts
Hi, can't you go over every patch using foreach + uvlayout (changing the UDIM number every iteration)?
I contribute to the beauty of this world
79 posts
I have no patches. I have one patch. That's what I want to create. I want to split that patch into many and distribute them over multiple UDIMs.
172 posts
one quick way how you can patch the geo
1 - scatter some points (how many patches you need)
2 - per prim wrangle with your points on the second input -
i@patch = nearpoint(1, @P);
3 - iterate over your patches with foreach
there are many ways how you can divide that geo, this is not the best one
I contribute to the beauty of this world
21 posts
Using UV Layout from SideFX Labs you should be to spread the uv across mutiple udim with a lot of control. You should check all the Targets sections there. For example something like this, spreads the uv across 0-10 (u) to 0-3 (v):

You can also be more precise definig target islands under overrides:

Instead of colors (or additionally) you could add a primitive attribute (integer type)called udim and set it different for each colored region. This should be easy right after you're getting those colors. Then using this Target Assignment with udim as the Target Attribute will give you one UDIM for each region.

You can even combine both things and use for example two or thre UDIM for each colored region.

There are these nice tutorials about UV Layout, probably they will help too!

UV Layout Quickstart Tutorial [vimeo.com]
You can do plenty of things with the UV Layout node (Entagma) [vimeo.com]

Attachments:
UDIM_targets.jpg (20.7 KB)
UDIM_target_islands.jpg (48.5 KB)

19 posts
This doesn't seem to spread the uv islands across the udims properly. I have a lot of shells that are crossing udim borders which wont come into substance painter at all.

Houdini must have solved this issue?
67 posts
Just came across this problem today, ended up using this simple alternative which handles crossing UV islands:

create a grid > uv texture
merge a couple copies with a "UV Transform" node before merging, so you construct the desired udim tiling grid.
uvlayout with the merged grid in the second input, set Pack into=Islands from second input

it is that simple, and should definitely be an ootb option in the uv layout node.

* attached example, and a comparision between packing into udim tiles Vs. packing into islands of second input (using the method above).

Attachments:
1.jpg (170.0 KB)
2.jpg (115.0 KB)

• Quick Links