Consistent scale UVs like UVW Map in 3Dsmax

3266   7   0
5 posts
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to wrap my head around UVs recently. I can get a fairly decent generic unwrap going, but once I have to do something very specific, I'm kind of lost.

In this case, I would like to recreate UVs like the modifier "UVW Map" would in 3dsmax. Meaning to do a very basic unwrap, according to a predefined scaling.

So my question is: how would I go about recreating a Box unwrap, that always stays consistently in a 100x100x100 cm scaling like in this picture?

I would love to hear some suggestions!

Best regards,

Julian

Attachments:
uvw_map_100cm.PNG (324.9 KB)

472 posts
Hi,

I haven't found a direct way, but you can define directions, to classify the primitives into specific sets, using the direction, where the angle to the normal of the primitive has the lowest value.

Now each primitive has its own class and you can project uvs onto each primitive depending on its class.

Here is a modification of an older (experimental) file, which should give similar results.
Edited by Aizatulin - 2021年6月7日 13:24:18

Attachments:
multiplanar_uvC.hipnc (240.1 KB)

5 posts
Hey Aizatulin,

Sorry for my late reply. This is exactly what I was looking for! Is there a way to do this without any code?
131 posts
Have you had satisfactory results with UV Texture's "Face" Texture Type? If your geometry is made up of mostly planar quads it should work fine.
678 posts
You can also take a look at this thread I posted a hda that works like a box projection.

Other thread [www.sidefx.com]

Cheers
CYTE
5 posts
To anyone that's interested: I found a way using only nodes where I split up the mesh into its X, Y and Z components using "Labs Split Primitives by Normal", then using "UV texture" with "texture type: Face", merging the results and then transferring the UVs back onto the original mesh using "UV transfer".
648 posts
see attached,
uses a vopnet

Attachments:
boxuv.hipnc (260.0 KB)

12 posts
anon_user_40689665
see attached,
uses a vopnet
Works like a charm and works fast for dense geo! Thanks for sharing
Tip for anyone using this and finding it not working ("invalid data storage size for input value P" error message), delete detail attrib "P" if you have one
Best regards,
Faxcorp
  • Quick Links