Houdini Indie via Steam... for Linux?

4824   6   1
2 posts
Hey

Since there is Steam on Linux and it is quite good so far, are there plans to make Indie available
for the Linux part of Steam users, too? Or am I missing something and it already is?

Greetings,
Christian
11 posts
Hello, any news?
30 posts
If you look on the discussion pages on the Steam store the answer is “no plan but maybe”
193 posts
I got houdini working in manjaro linux (sort of) by installing steam for windows under winetricks. then i just installed houdini as usual from the steam library.

there are a couple of open GL glitches which are annoying, but the real showstopper (literally) is that there is no Open CL support. (no idea why?), but that really limits the functionality, for my purposes.

I'm running it on a 4700u AMD laptop. so it's last gen ryzen 7 + Vega 11 gfx (i think).

If anybody has any tips for getting it working better with wine (especially the Open CL issue), I'd love to know, because i really prefer to work in linux, when possible.

My other thought is to install stripped down windows 10 under kvm/qemu and then use that to run steam/etc. i figure that could work better, but i haven't fiddled with setting it up yet. will letCHA know details, if i get it working.

(windows 10 has been naughty, and only deserves to be run as a virtual machine, with linux hypervisor, imo)

Otherwise, sidefx, PLEASE give us linux steam builds!!
88 posts
It`s really ez to install on arch since 18.5. you just need to run the installer and then autostart sessinetd on launch.
6 posts
voting for houdini for linux in Steam.
Windows version works well in windows, but no reason why not to compile an indie-steam launcher for linux. Anyway it's already compiled for windows. Prays to devs!

upd:
Users, just for letting you know: Houdini in Steam is about the same distro as usual, but with special indie.exe called indiesteam.exe, which do not make any requests to classic sesinetd, but making a request to steam. Not working without running steam that giving approve to start Hou session.
Edited by dosyanich - 2022年12月20日 10:37:29
16 posts
maybe a very dumb question, but why would you want to run houdini via steam?
  • Quick Links