Continuous SSS shading

3754   10   2
918 posts
How would I go about importing geo into Solaris that requires a singe mesh to ensure continous SSS shading? Yet is still need to be able to selectivly prune/make invisble some parts of the mesh.

I've tried to have GeoSubsets, by I could not abide them to pruning. Maybe there is an attribute for the SSS shader to pickup? I remember such thing from my arnold days.

The attached image sss_continuous is the shading I'm after.

Any help is much appreciated.

Andy
Edited by Andy_23 - 2021年9月22日 09:00:04

Attachments:
sss_continuous.jpg (137.9 KB)
sss_discrete_per_connected_faces.jpg (154.8 KB)

スタッフ
418 posts
Hi. Rendered using Karma, I assume? It does not yet have SSS traceset feature (where outside meshes can be included for SSS probe rays). It's not ideal but you could use different material assignment on geometry subsets and set 0 opacity in lieu of pruning.
918 posts
Thank you for providing insight so promptly. It's good to know the current limitations, I'll rethink our asset build up.

Cheers
918 posts
One more thing. Is there a propre way of loading a .bgeo in Solaris have it be a single mesh and create geoSubcomponents from @name oder @path?

I'm struggling to get this to work.

Thank you.
918 posts
Adding to my findings…

On the SOP Create LOP I enable and clear the path attributes field in the Primitive Definition section.
The below in the Import Data section I set the Partion attribute to name.

This get's me a mesh_0 with geoSubsets. However, the subsets names are composed of the attribte name and it's value.

Please see the images, as I'm struggling to explain this any better.

Thank you all.
Edited by Andy_23 - 2021年9月22日 15:18:38

Attachments:
sop_create.jpg (70.8 KB)
scene_graph.jpg (29.3 KB)

7737 posts
Andy_23
This get's me a mesh_0 with geoSubsets. However, the subsets names are composed of the attribte name and it's value.

I think that's how it works. It's meant for partitioning with shop_materialpath. If you partition with 'subset groups' instead, then the subsets are named directly from the groups.

Andy_23
One more thing. Is there a propre way of loading a .bgeo in Solaris have it be a single mesh and create geoSubcomponents from @name oder @path?

If the bgeo is saved with detail attributes from the usdconfigure sop, the import controls can be baked into the bgeo file to allow for configuring the direct layering of bgeo files.
918 posts
Thank you jsmack for taking your time to help me understand Solaris/USD – much appreciated.
236 posts
Karma is using randomwalk, which a physical simulation requiring closed meshes. Currently, due the very nature
of the random walk algo, no engine offers tracesets like the good ole days. Which makes a lot of SSS things very
painful. It's like they need some rendertime CSG goodness to achieve what we need.

L
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
12428 posts
There is some "simple" counting of face-crossings that can be implemented in random-walk that can help with incorrect early termination of intersecting geometry (SIGGRAPH 2021 Course [dl.acm.org]) which, if implemented, may help with some of these situations. It might be nice to know if SideFX has plans in this area.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
918 posts
tinyhawkus
Karma is using randomwalk, which a physical simulation requiring closed meshes. Currently, due the very nature
of the random walk algo, no engine offers tracesets like the good ole days. Which makes a lot of SSS things very
painful. It's like they need some rendertime CSG goodness to achieve what we need.

L

My renders shown above are indeed Burley SSS renders. No Random Walk used.

IIRC, in my initial Renderman tests there were checkboxes on the shaders to deal with such issues.
44 posts
was just browsing over the new arnold featurelist and noticed the SSS setnames with randomwalk.

https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5ARP/7.0.0.0 [docs.arnoldrenderer.com]

hoping it will make it to karma soon
Edited by frostfx - 2021年10月19日 14:15:54
  • Quick Links