VDBs & standard light display issue in viewport

2550   2   1
30 posts
This is more of a minor annoyance than anything else, but I'm working through part 3 of this free Rebelway asset creation course [www.youtube.com]
and around 9:30 I noticed a different behavior than in the video when trying to shade a VDB fog in the viewport with standard distant lights. It seems like the light gets cut off at the surface of the volume, and as far as I can tell it's not caused by the Arnold lights or anything else in the scene. The set up is super basic, and the same thing happens when building the scene from scratch in new projects. That said, it would be nice to have lights interacting properly with the fog, so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any idea what might be causing that. I know that this masterclass was created in a much older version of Houdini, perhaps as early as 16.5, so I imagine it might be a version difference, but it seems like a silly behavior to change. Might it be a bug? It still happens after updating Houdini...
Edited by BenjaminMarkus - 2021年10月1日 16:01:26

Attachments:
lightrig1.png (735.6 KB)
lightrig2.png (731.5 KB)
lightrig3.png (762.2 KB)

1 posts
Two years and no real progress for VDB's in Viewport. I tried quite a lot of settings but nothing so far has helped. I only destroyed in one try my file in a way that even reseting everything to default did not help anymore. I have no idea whats up with this but it does not leave the best impression.
If anyone comes across a solution this is still an issue and I would be thankfull.

Attachments:
Screenshot.png (1.2 MB)

679 posts
Try a clamp node after you multiplied the density by noise.
This is how it looks for me in H 20.0.532
Cheers
CYTE

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-02 095011.jpg (163.3 KB)

• Quick Links