Tiling Issue with Rebelway technique

1448   2   1
30 posts
I've been working my way through the free Rebelway asset creation courses [www.youtube.com] and the same tiling method is being used in both of the first two parts for COPs and VOPs tiling. However, I ran into a snag around 4:27:00 of the first masterclass, where Saber bakes out the flattened Torus to assist in tiling the texture. Perhaps, I did something wrong when rendering it out of Mantra, but my rendered texture looks correct, and I'm getting some bizarre banding when trying to implement it in the Tiling Part 2 section as well as the tiling section of the second VOPs course even though I seem to have everything hooked up properly. I posted this question in the YouTube discussion, but no response and it seems like someone else posted the same issue on there already. In any case, I wrote Rebelway to ask if they still had the assets, which they don't and informed me that the course was discontinued because they need to update it for use with the latest version of Houdini. So, I'm wondering if it's possible that SideFX changed something under the hood in Houdini 18.5 that's messing with this workflow, or am I just improperly baking out the texture?
Edited by BenjaminMarkus - 2021年10月1日 16:11:07

Attachments:
bake_torus_scale_1_1_1K.exr (728.4 KB)

7734 posts
It's hard to say much just from an image, but the format being 16bit floating point isn't helping the banding. The texture is also clamped at 0, so it only is able to represent the positive positions.
30 posts
If you watch that section of the course it should be clear what's goin on. What's interesting is if I put a fit node after the bind (rest) node and change the Source Min value to -1, -1, -1 and re-render the tiling trick seems to work. But, what I don't understand is how Saber was able to make it work without the fit. I guess, I'm just wondering if SideFX changed something that affected this functionality between that older version of Houdini and 18.5.
Edited by BenjaminMarkus - 2021年10月3日 22:57:20
  • Quick Links