MaterialX changing displacement parameters over time Karma C

1380   1   1
7 posts
Hi, I have setup /see the images and file below/ where I would like to change MatX fractal position over time in KARMA CPU /so the displacement would look like it is moving/, previously with principle shaders or another shaders I would do this in material builder and connect parameter "Time" to position because VOPs are not time dependend or whatever that failure message was so you had to build time dependent shader in material builder with parameter, but you can not paste MatX to mat builder,so is there any work around or trick how to do this please?

Another thing is disconnected edges with displacement i found that if normals are changed rapidly this disconnecting will disappear this is how it should be done or I am missing something also?
Edited by PeterMandk - 2021年11月13日 06:39:03

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-11-13 121705.png (1.1 MB)
Screenshot 2021-11-13 121849.png (1.1 MB)
0002_recovered.hiplc (968.3 KB)

スタッフ
1448 posts
While VEX-generating VOPs don't allow time-dependent expression, that's not the case for MaterialX shader node VOPs. That warning is a left-over bug from VEX-dedicated VOPs.

To get the time-dependent translation of VOPs to USD, you need to turn on the "Allow Shader Parameter Animation" toggle on the Material Library LOP. See the attached example.

Also, while you can't paste mtlx VOPs into VEX Material Builder, you can paste them into a MaterialX Subnet VOP, and promote some inputs with Parameter VOP to the subnet. Then the animation will be on the USD Material prim rather than individual shaders. But that's not that much different.

Another approach would be to use Edit Properties LOP to animate specific shader parameters.

And yet another one would be to use USD primvars to drive the value of the noise y-position.

Attachments:
0002_recovered-fixed.hiplc (969.2 KB)

• Quick Links