Houdini Apprentice to Indie Upgrade

6970   7   1
2 posts
Hello Houdini users,

I have problem with access to Houdini indie as i follow every step of this video : https://vimeo.com/132559478 [vimeo.com]
As I want to try out pipeline Houdini with UE4

But the result after i follow every step is when I try to open Houdini Indie version Its kept bringing me back to
houdini apprentice

Once I click the shortcuts icon it keep open houdini apprentice.

Please help me out I really want to learn this pipeline

Attachments:
Image 042.png (8.4 KB)
Image 043.png (700.0 KB)

806 posts
Moin,

please try this:

Run the license manager “as administrator” once. Make sure you have at least one Indie license available. If not, install the license following the documentation. If the license manager is unable to find your license, try reinstalling the server license (there's a button for that in license manager). Again, do this as “Administrator”.

If you have one Indie license available in the license manager, close the license manager and start Houdini Indie (make sure to have a matching release to your license, obviously) as “normal user”. Allow Houdini to connect to the internet.

If that does *not* work, please, if possible, do a screen recording.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
2 posts
malbrecht
Moin,

please try this:

Run the license manager “as administrator” once. Make sure you have at least one Indie license available. If not, install the license following the documentation. If the license manager is unable to find your license, try reinstalling the server license (there's a button for that in license manager). Again, do this as “Administrator”.

If you have one Indie license available in the license manager, close the license manager and start Houdini Indie (make sure to have a matching release to your license, obviously) as “normal user”. Allow Houdini to connect to the internet.

If that does *not* work, please, if possible, do a screen recording.

Marc

Thank you so much for your help,
I follow step you guide also record gif image, still houdini apprentice version , did I miss any steps ?

Again thank you so much for your help Marc !

Attachments:
sss.gif (2.9 MB)

806 posts
Moin,

please try running the program itself (not the license manager, that one seems to be OK) as a normal user, not as an administrator (although I admit, I am guessing here already).
I just tried to reinstall Indi 15.5 myself here and it works nicely. One thing you could try is to remove all Houdini versions (cleanly) and reinstall. But that's like suggesting “have you tried switching it off and on again”, I guess

If that fails too, please contact support at sideFX. They may have some additional ideas - sorry that I am out of leads here …

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
236 posts
Hi, your license manager should have Houdini Indie listed. (yours only has Houdini Engine Indie)

I'd suggest you try the following.
1. Check that you bought a Houdini Indie license, not a Houdini Engine license. - Not sure this is actually the issue as Houdini Engine Indie comes free with Houdini Indie. It looks like you have 3 Indie Engine licenses and no Indie.

2. Check that you installed Indie correctly. - When installing, you have some options for the license manager. Currently it looks like you have Engine installed but not Indie itself so a clean installation is a good option.

3. Go to the Houdini/bin folder and run hindie.exe instead of using the shortcut (or check that your shortcut is pointing to hindie.exe) - I know that running hmaster.exe or houdinifx.exe will launch Apprentice if you don't have the license so I expect hindie.exe does the same.

Rob
379 posts
Yeah you do not have Indie license but Engine Indie.
31 posts
Just to be clear. I ran into this same Issue. I thought INDIE was free, but its 200 bucks. INDIE ENGINE is free. I went through the same loops you did before realizing that.

You need to buy INDIE then it will pop up when you do the HKEY deal.

Cheers.
6 posts
After two days trying until I saw this...!!! This post saved my life
  • Quick Links