LOPs cache node and save-paths

1781   2   2
64 posts
Is there a way to give the cache node a save path?

When writing a USD with the USD rop in solaris, if I have a cache node in my network, I have to uncheck "error saving layers with implicit paths", or else I get an error because the cache node has no save path. The cache node doesn't seem to have many options available, and from what I can tell, I can't point a Configure Layer node to the cache.

It's my understanding that any animation done in LOPs, like animating light intensities or primvar values, requires a cache node in order for animation to be saved into the USD. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Brad T.
スタッフ
4159 posts
The cache lop isn't required for writing to USD, but it helps for interaction in LOPs (and things like motion blur, while in the GUI). What node are you feeding into the Cache LOP? Or which node is following the Cache? That's probably why it's trying to generate a save path; but a hip file would help.
I'm o.d.d.
64 posts
It's happening at several stages within this project. One example is shown in the attached screenshot. I'm instancing a light onto some points. The light intensity is animated. The instancer feeds into a cache lop (without the cache lop, the light intensity is frozen at whatever it's value is at the time of export). Cache lop goes to USD Rop. The resulting usd file is being sublayered back into a different graph for rendering.

The error in the screenshot is because the usd rop is trying to overwrite an existing cache.usd and failing because it's being referenced by another user. I should've saved to a new revision, but that's a separate issue. It does show that usd rop is auto-generating cache.usd though.

Attachments:
image_2022-03-30_130444324.png (1.1 MB)

• Quick Links