Cant react to created points within a loop within a wrangle

1464   3   0
11 posts
I'm having an issue whilst trying to create a random walk algorithm purely within VEX. I have a single wrangle, and within that I've got a for loop that creates a point every iteration, as long as there is an available location. However it seems no matter what I try, the created points don't react to the previously created points, resulting in clipping or weird behaviour. I've tried debugging by creating a vector array attribute of all available locations for every created point, but they're always empty.

Is there something I'm missing?

Find attached a hip with a basic setup of what I'm trying to do. The end goal would be for a point to start at zero, and randomly walk either {0,0,1}, {0,0,-1}, {1,0,0} or {-1,0,0} WITHOUT clipping into other points, if it detects a collision, it moves down {0,-1,0}. I'd preferably want it to all happen on frame 0 as well since I want to make this into a procedural tool and drive the creation of other things.

Attachments:
RandomWalk.hip (153.0 KB)

424 posts
You can't create points and access them in a single Point Attribute Wrangle. addpoint() doesn't actually create points when it's called. All points are created at the end of Attribute Wrangle.
11 posts
Interesting! Is there a way around this? Or should I just treat points as a final thing and just work off arrays of positions and add all the points at the end?
4490 posts
Depending on the functions you want to use, you can do that using arrays as you suggested. Functions like pcfind/pcopen will require actual 3d points in your geometry so if you can avoid using these, then you can do all of this in a single wrangle node.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links