Karma sequence render issue, exit code -1073741819

6917   37   12
12 posts
Hello,
I encounter one problem with Karma (first on XPU, but appears that it also affects CPU).

When I work in Stage, and in viewport, it renders as it should, but when try to render frame Range, I hit render to disk (or Render to disk in background) it exports just the first frame and exit render with this error message:

Failed to complete render: exit code -1073741819
Use a Log Viewer with External Render Processes enabled for more information.

I tried to include renderlog, but there is no error in there even if I set the verbose level to 9.

it happening on Houdini indie 19.0.589 py3.

thanks in advance
207 posts
Just to pile on this, I found this thread because I have this exact (very odd) error code issue, on two Karma render nodes in my setup.

Can anyone from sideFX explain what this error code means, or how to debug it further (what does "Use a Log Viewer with External Render Processes enabled for more information" mean?)

Thanks!
207 posts
Just a follow-up: I removed Redshift from my houdini.env and this error went away.

Not sure this is causal but thought I'd mention it in case this is a clue to any intrepid explorers in the future who happen across this page.
207 posts
Another follow-up: I asked about this on the Redshift forums, and got the following response:

Yes, sorry. This problem can be related to a crash on exit that we have due to the new CPU renderer. The workaround is to delete the CPU renderer .dll/.so/dylib from the Redshitf/bin directory to disable this feature. We are working on a fix for this issue.
Edited by dhemberg - 2022年5月18日 10:26:18
12 posts
oh, great, thanks for this workaround

hopefully, they will fix it in some update in redshift.
17 posts
same error without any redshift install on my computer... it happens in h20.0.506 and h19.5.640

Attachments:
Capture d'écran 2023-11-20 161325.png (47.3 KB)

67 posts
Alexandre Dizeux
same error without any redshift install on my computer... it happens in h20.0.506 and h19.5.640
Yeah I had this too. Side FX responded for my bug report, that it seems to happen on Windows and only when you have haris(curves) in scene
4 posts
I've just started getting the exact same error as well, I'm trying to render fur on a character. What's the workaround?

EDIT: Just did a sweep on my curves, it's still pretty fast in my case but it definitely needs addressing.
Edited by Kev Ryan - 2023年11月21日 13:42:44
67 posts
Kev Ryan
I've just started getting the exact same error as well, I'm trying to render fur on a character. What's the workaround?

EDIT: Just did a sweep on my curves, it's still pretty fast in my case but it definitely needs addressing.
sweep? what do you mean. Are you creating geo in sops instead of curves? I mean polywire was also workaround for me, but I had only couple of hundreds, with real fur/hair its not an option.
Edited by sniegockiszymon - 2023年11月21日 15:49:08
1 posts
I'm getting the same error and no redshift. Any word on this? Sweep seems to be working, but has anyone else found what's causing it?
1 posts
Same error here:

Command Exit Code: -1073741819
Failed to complete render: exit code -1073741819
Use a Log Viewer with External Render Processes enabled for more information.

No Redshift, 20.0.506, only objects in my stage are feathers with a vellum sim routed through Primitive and Houdini Feather Procedural nodes. Shaft of the feather is swept geo but the barbs are curves, XPU will run for a bit and then just stop when trying to render the frame range.
3 posts
I have the same issue with rendering fur, I submitted a ticket today. Seems like they are aware of it and they will let me know when it's fixed. I will send an update on this thread whenever I hear something!
13 posts
tbattistetti
I will send an update on this thread whenever I hear something!
Please tell me, is there any news on this topic?
3 posts
Alt_stage
tbattistetti
I will send an update on this thread whenever I hear something!
Please tell me, is there any news on this topic?
Hey! SideFX wrote back, telling me the bug is not fixed yet. However they asked me what would happen if I were to use another kind of curve type (eg. Bezier or NURBS) to see if the issue was still there. I added a convert SOP after my cache and I set it to Bezier Curve. In my case, this completely fixed the render issue, however it's just a workaround and might not work in every case.
Let us know if that worked for you too!
Cheers
13 posts
tbattistetti
Hello! Thanks for your reply!
Unfortunately, it didn’t help me, I’m attaching a test scene

Attachments:
Error Command Exit Code 1073741819 to support.hiplc (587.4 KB)

196 posts
Alt_stage
Hey! SideFX wrote back, telling me the bug is not fixed yet. However they asked me what would happen if I were to use another kind of curve type (eg. Bezier or NURBS) to see if the issue was still there. I added a convert SOP after my cache and I set it to Bezier Curve. In my case, this completely fixed the render issue, however it's just a workaround and might not work in every case.

As an alternative solution, you can render the entire sequence with a single process. The USD Render ROP node has a corresponding parameter.
スタッフ
466 posts
Hi guys
Its looking like this is an NVidia driver issue (windows only).
The good news is that it seems fixed in their very latest driver.
Could you please test with 546.33 (available in both studio and game-ready) and let us know if it fixes this crashing issue?
thanks very much!
2 posts
brians
Hi guys
Could you please test with 546.33 (available in both studio and game-ready) and let us know if it fixes this crashing issue?
thanks very much!

Hey Everyone,

I got stuck on this error while rendering strands with Karma and ended up on this thread. I managed to render my scene using a polywire SOP but render time went up by 30%. I tried the convert SOP to bezier curve without luck. I just upgraded to the latest NVIDIA Drivers (546.33) and so far so good.
FYI, I tried redshift and unreal route for rendering, Karma gives the best and quickest result. Rendering a simple plexus effect with lots of DOF, but in 8K. Karma doesn't seem to mind.I'll probably drop Redshift at the next iteration of Karma!

Cheers
2 posts
brians
Hi guys
thanks very much!
Hi All,

I can confirm the latest nvidia drivers fixes the issue. Rendered 900 frames without a glitch. Nice !

Thanks!
3 posts
brians
Hi guys
thanks very much!

Confirming, working as expected now!
Cheers!
  • Quick Links