same operations (nodes) on different poly islands

1857   11   1
75 posts
Hey there!

I have an imported fbx mesh with multi polygon islands in it (elements are not connecting to each other).
I would like to convert each of the polygon island into vdb, and then convert the vdb into polygons and at the end just merge them into one.

I already watched for each videos, but still can't figure out how can i apply the same operations to different polygon islands, and then merge them together so i can export the whole thing into an fbx file.

I just find "for each" videos those explaning duplication, repeation of same operations on points.
Can't find anything related to polygon islands (groups?).

Many thanks for Your answers in advance
Edited by ostyascukor - 2022年5月18日 15:21:17
8517 posts
You need ForEach block

You can start with TAB/For Each Named Primitive

If you have your islands as name or path attribute

Or if you have them as poly groups, create name attribute from them using Name SOP first

If each poly island is connected geo on it's own you can just do TAB/For Each Connected Piece to begin with
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
75 posts
"If each poly island is connected geo "
They are poly islands, where should they connected as geo?

"Or if you have them as poly groups,"
They are elements in an fbx file. Like a rivet is one poly group (island?) and another rivet is another poly group.
Is that makes any sense? I mean as how i try to explain it here. Maybe i'm using wrong definitions.

"...create name attribute from them using Name SOP first"
What is the purpose to do that? I mean now i have 754392 primitives with the exactly same name as i can see in the Geometry Spreadsheet.
Still don't understand how that defines my polygon groups/islands/elements. I have 3 of them in the fbx file.

I'm asking these questions with honest curiosity!

Thank You for your reply!
Edited by ostyascukor - 2022年5月18日 18:08:13
75 posts
Yeah i guess i try to explain it with a picture:
Edited by ostyascukor - 2022年5月19日 07:12:33

Attachments:
houdini_separate_operate_merge.jpg (350.3 KB)

75 posts
ok, i think i got this.
Primitive is equivalent with polygon groups/island/elements, right?

I still don't know how can i check just one element of a for each? like there is 77 piece of my geometry, but i just want to compile the first 10, or just the 21th, and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs5WezgOZlo [www.youtube.com]

in this video She just set it "By Count" and defines which phase of the for each should cooked, but that's a phase not a piece, so i'm not sure how can i cook only a part of my primitives from the "list"

Edited by ostyascukor - 2022年5月19日 08:16:18

Attachments:
houdini_separate_operate_justapart.jpg (194.6 KB)

8517 posts
use Split SOP to split which pieces you want to process, run Foreach only on that branch and then Merge with other output from the split
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
75 posts
That's a cool idea! Thank You very much!
75 posts
I did the unwrap and uv layout to get a usable uv, and it seems ok, but i want to displacement on my mesh driven by texture, so, as i saw in a cool tutorial, i created an attribute promote to get point class from original class (of course i don't know what that means, i mean what the uv is doing with points about displacement)

Bigger problem is the attribute promote is killing my uvs (at least the uv boundaries), and that's not good.

Is there any solution to fix this, or what am i doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Edited by ostyascukor - 2022年5月23日 14:09:16

Attachments:
good_bad_attpromote.jpg (1.0 MB)

8517 posts
dont promote uvs

- keep them as vertex
- sample your displacement value s as vertex attrib
- promote your displacement value attrib to point
- push points along N using your displacement value attrib
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
75 posts
Thank You for the fast reply and the perfect description.
Edited by ostyascukor - 2022年5月24日 03:40:46
75 posts
I'm in the finish

Next thing i can't figure out is how can i mask two meshes with measure curvature.
I already have the 2 mesh, one is displacemented, one is not, and i have the curvature masks (red for the edges, green for the concave stuffs (btw i really love the blur is real 3d blur instead of painters 2d pixel blur. another feature that helps auto uv)

And the question is: how can i use the convexity and concavity attributes to mask out one mesh with another?

And another question. Can i merge two different topology mesh with this method?
Like i made a mesh with vdb volumes (supercool to make surfaces damaged, weary), and of course topology is created after the "damaging".
There is no way to match that "damaged mesh" topo with my "intact mesh". So is there any way to blend them together somehow?
Like a kind of interpolation of two different topo mesh.

Basically if You would answer those questions, i would finish Houdini part of my highpoly mesh
Edited by ostyascukor - 2022年5月24日 10:03:37

Attachments:
mesh_merge_curvature_mask.jpg (101.7 KB)

75 posts
And a bit of don't know about labs triplanar displacement:

can't set the ranges properly, and can't use the smooth normals

Attachments:
labstriplanar_displacement.jpg (592.2 KB)

• Quick Links