New Operator Type: VEX Type Geometry Operator.... is missing

4422   4   0
678 posts
Hey Everybody,
I'm following a tutorial where you need to create a new operator type.
You are supposed to create a new VEX Type Operator with Geometry Operator as a Network Type.
The Tutorial is made with an older version of Houdini. and in the documentation, you can
still find the Geometry Operator Type. But in Houdini 16 it's missing.
How do you do it in Houdini 16 then?

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - 2017年7月5日 10:23:19
7741 posts
The old ‘SOP’ vex context is deprecated. You can't create a new operator of this type from the menu anymore. SOP VEX context has been superceded by the CVEX context which requires an attribute vop to evaluate the CVEX shader. If you have old sop context source files laying around, you can still generate an operator type from them using vcc on the command line.
678 posts
Hey jsmack,
thanks for your explanation and clearing things for me!
Cheers
CYTE
2 posts
Hi jsmack.

I m still relatively new to coding in Houdini and I'm also following an old tutorial on VEX in houdini and in the tutorial he managed to create a new VEX operator of type geometry and its obviously missing now in newer versions.

I didn't quite understand your previous answer that quotes " SOP VEX context has been superceded by the CVEX context which requires an attribute vop to evaluate the CVEX shader."

Can you please elaborate more on this answer? What exactly is the alternative method for me to create a new custom geometry node that contains a custom function that alters my geometry??

I don't really know what CVEX is and how to access it, nor what CVEX shader means...

please help

Thanks
7741 posts
garrette2010
Can you please elaborate more on this answer? What exactly is the alternative method for me to create a new custom geometry node that contains a custom function that alters my geometry??

You don't anymore, as it's deprecated. The attribute VOP replaced the VOPSOP, which uses a 'CVEX' shader instead of a 'geometry' shader.

To create a new custom geometry node, create an HDA from a subnet containing an Attribute VOP or an Attribute Wrangle.

garrette2010
I don't really know what CVEX is and how to access it, nor what CVEX shader means...

I wouldn't worry about it, but CVEX is a generic context for executing VEX shader code as opposed to the specific contexts (geometry, surface, displacement, light, etc) You can create a new CVEX shader using a builder node. CVEX shaders need something that executes them, such as an attributevop or volumevop. CVEX shaders are also found in places where they are evaluated inline such as in LOP expressions or Stylesheets.
  • Quick Links