VAT point count limits per texture size? Frame range limit?

1168   1   1
45 posts
Hello all,

I am running tests on soft body deformation to see what fails and succeeds in producing the Vertex Animation Textures according to point count and frame range. I have a long simulation with 89620 points and I need to know how I can break up the results so I can string them together in unreal; by frame length? by point count? any suggestions?

The tests:
For a soft body simulation of a basic grid mesh I have increased the frame length and point count to see what works and doesn't.
These tests take a long time.

It would be helpful on the VAT 3.0 node to have a warning or error before it processed for 45 min and fails.

There must be a way to calculate if the ROP will fail before you go through the operation. Thoughts or ideas?

I have been multiplying the frame count by the point count and dividing by the texture size (frame_count*point_count)/texture_sizeand it seems if that number is below 9000, it completes successfully. But I'm grasping at straws here through trial and error.

Attachments:
2022-06-24_12-21-47.png (54.2 KB)
2022-06-24_12-26-54.png (804.3 KB)

45 posts
UPDATE. It seems to work.

I used this metric of keeping the calculated number under 9000 (frame_count * point_count)/texture_sizeand it seems to be working for all of my costume pieces. I kept them all at 1000 frames so I can line them up in the sequencer in Unreal.

Attachments:
2022-06-24_22-23-33.png (52.2 KB)

• Quick Links