MaterialVariation LOP for XPU

1559   6   1
642 posts
Hi.

I can see the MaterialVariation LOP has VEX in it so it is CPU only for Karma. Is there an alternative planned at some point so we can have something similar on XPU ?

Best. Mark
Edited by Mark Wallman - 2022年9月20日 14:53:44
7733 posts
Mark Wallman
Hi.

I can see the MaterialVariation LOP has VEX in it so it is CPU only for Karma. Is there an alternative planned at some point so we can have something similar on XPU ?

Best. Mark

MaterialVariation node just sets primvars, what precludes using with with XPU? You would need to use a primvar reader in the material of course, but that should work with XPU.
642 posts
Hi. VEX does not work in XPU so the MaterialVariation LOP will not work. Here is what I have so far. Best. Mark

Attachments:
texture_LOD.JPG (30.2 KB)
texture_LOD2.JPG (44.8 KB)
Texture_LOD.hipnc (199.7 KB)

7733 posts
You seem to be using a primvar reader to read a string and passing to a file input on a texture reader, that won't work with XPU. Primvars going into shaders must be numbers. The material variation node can only be used to change numerical values if using XPU.

To vary the textures going into a shader, there isn't a tool like material variation that will automatically change the paths on nodes inside the shader. The reference node can be used to create reference copies of the material, then the texure file path can be edited on the texture node within each reference. I think I posted an example of this before.
642 posts
Hi Jsmck

Thanks. I'll have a look for your post. best. Mark
7733 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/82185/?page=1#post-365403 [www.sidefx.com]

I think this might be it
642 posts
Thanks!
  • Quick Links