Retime animated instances with the MOP Instancer

2277   5   1
90 posts
I read that the MOP Instancer - Set Sequence Time can retime with offsets instances from the Mop Instancer via an attribute.

I created a point wrange with something like randOffset=fit01(rand(@id),1,100); I then set the Set Sequence Time node to use Index Type: Attribute and then set the Attribute Name to "randOffset" and I get no random offsets. What am I doing wrong?
359 posts
Can you post a .hip file demonstrating the problem? It's easier to diagnose when I can see what's going on.

Usually the issue is that you're double-packing your instances, or you're not loading caches from disk (retimed deforming instances must be either Packed Disk Sequences or Alembic sequences, or a file sequence using s@instancefile), or you're not setting the frame range for Alembic sequences on Set Sequence Time.

Also, the viewport typically has problems visualizing the retiming; it's a technical limitation of the viewport. To verify the retiming, you can use an Unpack SOP, or just do a test render.
Edited by toadstorm - 2022年9月26日 15:20:24
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
90 posts
Thank you so very much for taking a look. Once I'm back home on my personal pc, I'll make a simple mock up and post it. Thanks again for taking a look.
90 posts
Here is essentially where I got. Thanks again for taking a look at the HIP.
Image Not Found
Edited by tadian - 2022年9月26日 19:46:34

Attachments:
Mops Instancer.hiplc (583.3 KB)

359 posts
I'm attaching a file describing how you could go about this differently. In short, for simple transformation animations you're better off using MOPs Delay so you don't have to cache everything to disk. Otherwise, with Set Sequence Time, the Cache SOP isn't enough... each individual object to be instanced has to be cached to disk as a .bgeo (Packed Disk Sequence) or Alembic before being loaded into the Instancer. The File Cache SOP isn't yet supported as a direct input to the Instancer, but I'll add that to the list of potential updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments:
Mops Instancer.hiplc (653.4 KB)

MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
90 posts
Thanks so much. This is awesome. Looking at it now and the descriptions are really helpful. I'm looking forward to learning more about this really amazing tool.
  • Quick Links