Lock node render flag without locking/caching the whole node

1275   4   0
15 posts
Hi,

Is it possible to lock the Render status of the node so that I don't accidentally set another node in a network to be the render output?

I don't want to lock/cache the whole node state though.

Thanks,

Adam.
679 posts
That's what the output node is for.

Cheers
CYTE
15 posts
Hi,

Thanks CYTE! that's the one.

Fairly new to H (from Soft) and haven't seen that used where I'm working... will suggest it's adopted as part of the workflow!

They've been using a null as an output node but obviously that can be a bit error prone.

Cheers,

Adam.
4500 posts
adamseeley
Hi,

Thanks CYTE! that's the one.

Fairly new to H (from Soft) and haven't seen that used where I'm working... will suggest it's adopted as part of the workflow!

They've been using a null as an output node but obviously that can be a bit error prone.

Cheers,

Adam.

Old tutorials pre-output node also only recommend null workflow of course so people who are not up to date might be used to this workflow.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
8535 posts
proper "Null" workflow is safe
it involves having dedicated Object node for rendering specific elements, just containing ObjectMerge inside merging such Null or any sop node from the Object used to create such geo

it's safe because ObjectMerge will always import given geo regardless of the flags

and also has advantage that you can have one central Object where you create multiple geos and output to several render objects

of course since introduction of Output SOP you can also use that to decide what will be a forced output of an Object as a whole, so you can decide, but I'd still consider it a less flexible workflow as I almost always have multiple render outputs from a single object
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links