Houdini 20 Rumors

207686   515   23
232 posts
brians
Ok, so I can tell by the Optix readout in the first image, that the GPU has not run out of memory.
We have already improved XPU glass for the next version of Houdini.
Is it possible for you could post a version of this scene I could use for testing?
Thanks!

Hold on, next version of Houdini, what? 19.5 just came out! :-)
433 posts
LukeP
I do have to say that reading this thread I’m amazed at the level of Client interactions and support that SideFX provides! AMAZING!

Yes!
Subscribe to my Patreon for the best CG tips, tricks and tutorials! https://patreon.com/bhgc [patreon.com]

Twitter: https://twitter.com/brianhanke [twitter.com]
Behance: https://www.behance.net/brianhanke/projects [www.behance.net]
251 posts
Ali Tezel
A camera sequencer similar or better than the one in maya.

FWIW: I've made ProSequencer, it's free and opensource and part of my toolkit: https://bitbucket.org/jcdeblok/jdb_houdinitoolkit/src/master/ [bitbucket.org]

https://jdbgraphics.nl/script/prosequencer-2-0-houdini/ [jdbgraphics.nl]

It's a general sequencer that can switch viewport to cameras and do lots more. Basically you're free to use any of it's data to drive anything, useful for retiming stuff, tweaking mocap data ranges etc.

It's a shot manager as well, can generate mp4 previews, submit things to deadline and there is an still undocumented plugin system

Do rtfm cause there are a few things in there that are quite powerful but not directly obvious.
More code, less clicks.
10 posts
biborax
my H20 expectation list:
tutorials, tutorials,and tutorials and courses, and especially recent ones, to learn Houdini correctly.
Notably to learn how to use karma...
and maybe an evolution of modeling tools, so that people use houdini for modeling and not just VFX.

I have heard rumors that Sidefx is working on a new "QuadRemesher" of their own. Good!. Many Many things are happening in the modeling area in world of computer graphics. Adobe is coming out with a modeling package and there have been other new apps the are also based on Signed Distance Field tech such as womp3D. Houdini has such great voxel manipulating technology but it has not coalesced into a decent workflow. The KineFX workflow has so much possibility for areas other than just rigging and animation. It could be the basis for an amazing SDF sculpting workflow if there was the will to do it. Houdini feels as though it is being left behind in this area. Sculpting is becoming MORE important to contemporary workflows.. not less important. I hope that Houdini 20 sees progress in this area.
248 posts
that adobe Modeler thing looks like somewhat simplified 3DCoat with VR compatibility, and i am okay if it stays over there
cushwa
Sculpting is becoming MORE important to contemporary workflows
it is not. Photogrammetry is. don't believe me? check out all latest gamedev pipelines. from rocks, to trees, to human faces. so, your perception of sculpting importance is just what it is - a biased perception
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
303 posts
N-G
luoqiulin
an OSL shading node such as Code Snippet is nice.

In material context press the tab and type OSL, you will see a node like a snippet for the OSL.
Isn't it what you want?
I think what you found is renderman's oslbuilder?
https://vimeo.com/user3971456/videos [vimeo.com]
3 posts
jarenas
osong
Lots of good ideas. Here's my take: I'd be happy if XPU were to be hardware-agnostic, and not locked in to a singular certain manufacturer.
If Renderman XPU development, which is developed intentend to be hardware agnostic, is an indication of anything, we may not see Karma XPU on AMD GPUs for maybe 5 more years? Personally I would like their resources devoted to optimize, implement QOL features and improve performance better than hardware agnosticism and that's coming from somewhere who after decades on Mac decided to build his own PC in order to get the best out of 3D apps. But I get your point and Mac users may be pissed off.

Blender supports nvidia cuda, Mac Metal, AMD Hip, and intel for GPU render.
1 posts
Houdini is amazing, but as someone mentioned thy might lose to other dcc's if they don't make the life easier for entry-mid level artists. They have everything in place, they did the heavy lifting. IMO they should focus on simplifying things:

1. UX, ease of use! Just one example: using animated attributes in sops without the silly and unintuitive workflows in dops.
2. Camera rig, what's up with that I want to easily put camera on a path and swirl around a pig head like a horse fly
3. Animation editor, that black color looks like someone made a hole in the monitor. Manipulating curves, copying keys, adding custom easing...
4. VEX snippets, why just give, like 3 of them? Imagine having bunch of them, the intuitive ones, or some sort of sandbox node where you can play with presets and see what happens. Maybe even being open sources so that moderators can view the community most upvoted code and update the node.
5.Velocity manipulation nodes. Having basic shapes (linear, sphere, box, tube, custom object) with vectors going inside, outside, and tangental. Then there's a blending node where you can combine them all together.
Edited by Stanko Stupar - 2022年11月16日 06:01:16
5 posts
Probably too early for the 20.0 release but the job boards posted that they're looking for a dev to work specifically on COPS, I really think that's good area to develop, especially if it can help making textures all in the same dcc instead of having to move out of houdini and into substance and back again.
129 posts
make Karma/ Mantra convert textures to .rat on the fly and use it just like Arnold. I think Arnold is the best in tersm of .tx files generation since I dont need to manually enter ".tx" at the end of every jpg on every single shader.

big hassle for big scenes with alot of megascans assets
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4NQi8wpYUbR9wLolfHrZVA [www.youtube.com]
236 posts
What's stopping you from simply running your textures through TOPs?
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
スタッフ
2589 posts
AhmedHindy
make Karma/ Mantra convert textures to .rat on the fly and use it just like Arnold. I think Arnold is the best in tersm of .tx files generation since I dont need to manually enter ".tx" at the end of every jpg on every single shader.

This was added in H19.5:
% hconfig -h HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE
HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE
Some image formats will have better performance when used as texture
maps when rendering. The imaketx program can be used to create these
high-performance texture files. This variable controls how non-ideal
texture maps should be used for texturing, automatically running
imaketex on these images to create high-performance texture files. This
conversion is done once, resulting an overall performance increase.

* Unset or native: will use the raw texture map with no conversion

* local will create a high performance texture file in the same
directory as the source texture (if possible).

* temp will use a local disk cache to store the high performance
texture files. This cache can be controlled using the htexcache
command line utility.

* all will first try to create a local texture file and if that fails,
it will fall back to the temp disk cache. For example, a texture
file $HIP/maps/color.png would have a local texture file created in
$HIP/maps/color.rat, but a texture stored in an HDA cannot have a
local texture created, so a cached file would be created in the temp
disk cache.
138 posts
mark
AhmedHindy

This was added in H19.5:
% hconfig -h HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE
HOUDINI_TEXTURE_DISK_CACHE
Some image formats will have better performance when used as texture
maps when rendering. The imaketx program can be used to create these
high-performance texture files. This variable controls how non-ideal
texture maps should be used for texturing, automatically running
imaketex on these images to create high-performance texture files. This
conversion is done once, resulting an overall performance increase.

* Unset or native: will use the raw texture map with no conversion

* local will create a high performance texture file in the same
directory as the source texture (if possible).

* temp will use a local disk cache to store the high performance
texture files. This cache can be controlled using the htexcache
command line utility.

* all will first try to create a local texture file and if that fails,
it will fall back to the temp disk cache. For example, a texture
file $HIP/maps/color.png would have a local texture file created in
$HIP/maps/color.rat, but a texture stored in an HDA cannot have a
local texture created, so a cached file would be created in the temp
disk cache.

Should i replace all the textures manualy after the conversion?By the way,the rat files are huge.
16 posts
this is kind of a wild thought, but the reason i still go to blender is often only because of the quick and easy eevee renderer for things that don't require photorealistic renders (which in my case is most of the times). It would be so badass if there was like literally no bridge between houdini and the unreal engine for example. an "unreal render" button. one could dream..
2 posts
Comparing Blender and Houdini UX makes no sense.
Houdini is more of an IDE mixed with a DCC rather than pure DCC and in it nodes are laid out in a unix filesystem fashion (hence the "nodepath", attr, slot format). In Houdini the network is your canvas and nodes are first party objects i.e. you don't "file/import/filetype" like you would in blender, you just drop down a file node.

This is immensely important because it allows you to have essentially multiple projects on the same canvas/network space, or branch one project into multiple. You can't really do that with Blender's nodes and on a personal note is one of my favorite things about Houdini.

Blender even with it's recent foray into nodes is still just a traditional (albeit a very good one) DCC with nodes tacked on, which is why it's UX paradigms do not apply nor fit Houdini. Houdini's UX is just fine (assuming you use an external code editor for wrangles).

As for what i'd love to see in H20 - Karma XPU projection and texture baking, and a toolset that does what Marvelous Designer does, as Vellum is both too slow and gets messy when it comes to complex garments.
Edited by Versalight - 2022年11月30日 08:09:57
37 posts
Versalight
Comparing Blender and Houdini UX makes no sense.
Houdini is more of an IDE mixed with a DCC rather than pure DCC and in it nodes are laid out in a unix filesystem fashion (hence the "nodepath", attr, slot format).
Sure. But could Houdini learn from other software? Yes. Could Houdini be more user friendly? Hell yes.

Versalight
(assuming you use an external code editor for wrangles)
100% with you on external text editors, but UX could be improved there so that external editors are easier to setup / use.
117 posts
liberalarts
Sure. But could Houdini learn from other software? Yes. Could Houdini be more user friendly? Hell yes.

The other question to ask here is could Blender's UI be extended to provide the vastly more complex and deep functionality of Houdini and still be "user friendly"? I'm going to suggest the answer is no.

These arguments always remind me of this great talk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxdOUGdseq4 [www.youtube.com]

-Drew
236 posts
Exactly Drew!
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
37 posts
drew
The other question to ask here is could Blender's UI be extended to provide the vastly more complex and deep functionality of Houdini and still be "user friendly"? I'm going to suggest the answer is no.
What is clear is that there are ongoing efforts to make Houdini more user friendly. See tab-menu node aliases [twitter.com] which are brilliant. The Align to flooralias is one of my most used Houdini nodes.

These improvements are especially useful to new users and should be encouraged and applauded. I would love to see even more work in this direction for H20.
330 posts
Gaalets
noise
Remember guys. Don't feed the troll, and they will go away. Everyone have a nice day.
  • Quick Links