Mountain to Attribute Noise: time slider?

1604   5   1
375 posts
Hello,
So in Hou 19 the Mountain node was replaced by the Attribute Noise node. OK no problem, but where is the "time" slider in the attribute noise? How can I get something similar?
Thanks in advance
GS
Houdini gamboler
7733 posts
It's a checkbox now under Animation, "Animate Noise"
375 posts
Ok I was not sure it was the equivalent slider as a "pulse length" slider was already featured in the old Mountain node.
I'm not very satisfied with this node replacement. When I open an old Houdini scene and try to reproduce the mountain node in a new Attribute Noise node, it's not the same settings. In Mountain, my Height slider is set at 2.5. If I put the same value in Attribute noise's "amplitude", the input sphere is not deformed in the same way. So is there a "Mountain to Attribute noise" guide?
Houdini gamboler
8513 posts
Usually you can't expect 2.0 version of any node type to be the same as 1.0

So if you want exactly the same behavior switch to 1.0
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7733 posts
Grendizer
So is there a "Mountain to Attribute noise" guide?

It's not possible to match one-to-one, unless you crack open the attribute noise and modify it heavily.
375 posts
Well Ok I understand. But I still think Sidefx should have added a "mountain to attribute noise" guide in the Attribute Noise documentation. They could have explained, for example: in mountain if you put a height of 10, the equivalent is an amplitude of 1.
Mountain is very often used by Houdini users so I think this would have been useful.
Houdini gamboler
  • Quick Links