Has anyone tried Houdini on AlmaLinux or RockyLinux?

3341   8   2
14 posts
Has anyone tried Houdini on AlmaLinux or RockyLinux?

Because I have been using Houdini on CentOS7.9, but when I tried to install CentOS on my recently purchased PC with Ryzen9 7950x and RTX4090, I got a kernel panic and could not install. So I am considering using AlmaLinux or Rocky Linux.

If anyone has experienced problems installing and using AlmaLinux or Rocky Linux, please let me know.

Thank you.
Edited by Shigeru Iriki - 2022年11月10日 00:00:43
スタッフ
463 posts
I develop on Rocky Linux 9 and have not run into any major issues. The only issue that I have encountered is that the Help Browser does not work, which is a common issue that many newer operating systems are experiencing. It seems to be Qt related, but we're still looking into it.
14 posts
johnmather
I develop on Rocky Linux 9 and have not run into any major issues. The only issue that I have encountered is that the Help Browser does not work, which is a common issue that many newer operating systems are experiencing. It seems to be Qt related, but we're still looking into it.

I appreciate your input.

I will try Rocky Linux 9
147 posts
Shigeru Iriki2
johnmather

I appreciate your input.

I will try Rocky Linux 9

and how are you feeling about it?

I used for 2 months Alma Linux because in the company where I worked they used it, but I'm very curious and I don't know if switch to Alma or Rocky at home now

Thanks
Matteo
14 posts
I am now using Linux Mint 20 instead of Rocky Linux 9 because of the problem of having to manually start the license server daemon every time.

I contacted SideFX support, and they kindly provided me with a solution, but since the problem is probably a bug in Rocky Linux 9, and to be precise, Rocky Linux 9 is still out of support, I have decided to use Linux Mint 20 instead of Rocky Linux 9.
147 posts
Shigeru Iriki2
I am now using Linux Mint 20 instead of Rocky Linux 9 because of the problem of having to manually start the license server daemon every time.

I contacted SideFX support, and they kindly provided me with a solution, but since the problem is probably a bug in Rocky Linux 9, and to be precise, Rocky Linux 9 is still out of support, I have decided to use Linux Mint 20 instead of Rocky Linux 9.

thanks and good to know, I switch from Linux Mint 20 to Windows 10 because some applications for remote working didn't work and I'm more curious to try the rmp distro for it so... in the past I try Fedora, but yes! I have a similar issue you get on Rocky Linux with Houdini so I prefer some deb distro (like Ubuntu, Pop_OS!, or Mint) because all are working well and don't lose more time with a lot of workaround for fixing some strange problems. Unfortunately, I love to complicate my life and I hate Windows (a lot of bug also after the update) so I choose to test Alma Linux the next time (maybe after early '23) to check if I can come back on Linux OS also for remote working.

in all cases thanks and have a good day (and best wishes)

Matteo

ps.: I promise to update you if Alma linux working well
7 posts
johnmather

Just setting up rocky 9.3 with KDE. Houdini installed fine but as you said the help menu won't load properly. Any pointers to how to get that working? Would be greatly appreciated!
スタッフ
463 posts
Regarding Alma Linux, be aware that it is no longer bug-for-bug compatible with RHEL, and we do not test on Alma, so your mileage may vary. See: https://almalinux.org/blog/future-of-almalinux/ [almalinux.org] Rocky Linux continues to be however.

Pascal Wiemers
Houdini installed fine but as you said the help menu won't load properly. Any pointers to how to get that working? Would be greatly appreciated!
You can find some workarounds here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/85629/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by johnmather - 2024年1月26日 22:21:22
7 posts
johnmather
Regarding Alma Linux, be aware that it is no longer bug-for-bug compatible with RHEL, and we do not test on Alma, so your mileage may vary. See: https://almalinux.org/blog/future-of-almalinux/ [almalinux.org] Rocky Linux continues to be however.

Pascal Wiemers
Houdini installed fine but as you said the help menu won't load properly. Any pointers to how to get that working? Would be greatly appreciated!
You can find some workarounds here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/85629/ [www.sidefx.com]

Thanks a lot! Man Houdini feels so good on linux.
  • Quick Links