Shadow pass in XPU

2834   6   4
207 posts
Hi;

Following the concepts noted here for generating a shadow AOV using LPEs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5sEhWI2Iwc&ab_channel=VFXMagic [www.youtube.com]

namely, creating a custom AOV using "holdouts;shadow;CDL" - this works great in Karma CPU, but does not seem to produce any results (a black AOV) in XPU. The XPU docs suggest AOVs and LPEs are working...is there more needed to produce a similar result in XPU?

thanks!
190 posts
I`ve also tried using XPU renderer i don`t think it`s supported yet.

What you can do is create 2 renders.

Renderyour object with XPU and render your shadowpasses ects with the CPU renderer.

On the bransh of Ur CPU renderer you can hide for primary rays the object you want to cast the shadows of.
(you can give this object a simpified texture 2 depending on how you`re going to use it.

And then on the other branch you can render your object in XPU
Edited by NicTanghe - 2022年12月29日 16:09:26

Attachments:
help2.hiplc (955.4 KB)

207 posts
Thanks for this.

I do see I can generate a shadows pass using Karma CPU. But, is it really the case this isn't possible in XPU? This seems like pretty basic, core functionality for visual effects.

I really want to love Karma XPU, I really really do, and I really want to feel justified in jettisoning Redshift a year ago in the hopes that I could cross the finish line with projects as effectively with Karma as I'd been able to do with Redshift for years. But, dang, some days I really do feel like I'm slamming myself against a brick wall.
8538 posts
XPU is in beta, so expectations of it fully replacing renderers in production would be very optimistic
Knowing that it relies on MaterialX that on its own is not complete and far from full featured material description, I wouldn't keep my hopes up for the near future

But hey, You are able to play with beta software which is exciting on its own
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
67 posts
Hey, and what about reflection catcher? How I could achieve it even with CPU?
190 posts
Reflection catcher is just enabling the specular / diffuse / emission in the settings of the node.

I do agree that this is the most lacking feature in XPU.
I had hoped this would be in the 19.5 release

I really hope they can put this in the next stable release.
スタッフ
467 posts
dhemberg
I do see I can generate a shadows pass using Karma CPU. But, is it really the case this isn't possible in XPU?

The next version of Houdini will have much better support for shadow mattes in XPU
namely
- shadow LPEs (eg "shadow;C.*")
- Holdout LPEe (eg "holdout;C.*"or "holdout;C<..'torus'>.*"etc...)
  • Quick Links