Groom from imported alembic scene file gets huge

2630   9   0
155 posts
Hello!

My Houdini scene file got over 5GB from just importing a couple of alembic groom assets, resampling them and feeding them into/working with the groom and hair objects.

Saving takes forever, like 10 minutes as of now, and file size is 5.8GB

I tried to put all the input files in a filecache and deleting alembic nodes, but this changed nothing.

Is there some setting I need to change?

Thanks!

Attachments:
obj context.jpg (85.2 KB)
guide groom.jpg (189.1 KB)
hair generate.jpg (215.3 KB)

7740 posts
Did you do any grooming with guide groom? that node saves a copy of the modified groom.
155 posts
jsmack
Did you do any grooming with guide groom? that node saves a copy of the modified groom.

thanks for the suggestion I'll look into it more carefully

I did use guide groom but the now 7.2GB file size does not seem right..
7740 posts
chf
I did use guide groom but the now 7.2GB file size does not seem right..

yowza
68 posts
Just curious, how many guides are you using?
From my test, .bgeo.sc sim saves might consume gigabytes of storage for hundreds of frames vellum sim for thousands of guides.
But if there is no sim archives, there's little chance that a moderate weight groom can use such much space of storage.
Edited by goose7 - 2022年12月14日 23:35:06
155 posts
goose7
Just curious, how many guides are you using?
From my test, .bgeo.sc sim saves might consume gigabytes of storage for hundreds of frames vellum sim for thousands of guides.
But if there is no sim archives, there's little chance that a moderate weight groom can use such much space of storage.

around 40.000
I was testing the workflow from houdini to unreal
The guides / groom came from blender, imported them via alembic.

It was definitely the guide groom node. As soon as I changed a single hair the filesize would skyrocket.
236 posts
That sounds very very broken. Is it possible for you to upload a hip, with the alembic assets?

L
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
8531 posts
chf
It was definitely the guide groom node. As soon as I changed a single hair the filesize would skyrocket
as mentioned Guide Groom SOP saves a copy of the whole groom as soon as you touch it since edits can be destructive
so to avoid having each groom saved into hip file avoid using Guide Groom SOP if all you are doing is just resampling, use Resample SOP, or any other procedural node to modify curves the way you want

Guide Groom Object should be fine though and it offers resampling, are you experiencing issues with that node also?
Edited by tamte - 2022年12月21日 03:00:39
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
731 posts
This is interesting, because we are seeing huge file sizes too.... have you got a lot of attribute paint SOPs? It seems there are stash nodes in these, causing bloating. One other interesting thing is, if we save the file in "update never," the size is about 500 megs... if we save in "always update," it reaches over 2GB. I plan to package this up somehow and send to SESI as it seems very buggy.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
155 posts
mrCatfish
This is interesting, because we are seeing huge file sizes too.... have you got a lot of attribute paint SOPs? It seems there are stash nodes in these, causing bloating. One other interesting thing is, if we save the file in "update never," the size is about 500 megs... if we save in "always update," it reaches over 2GB. I plan to package this up somehow and send to SESI as it seems very buggy.

no, not much is needed.. I import the alembic groom, do one stroke with the guide groom and it jumps to insane file sizes.
  • Quick Links