Hoping for Modeling and UV Improvements!

703   1   2
355 posts
I'm really excited by the things that was said to be coming for h20 (KineFx matured, hopefully XPU prod ready, feather system and whatever else was mentioned). But I'm hoping for some serious modeling improvements! I'm a freelance artist and Houdini is my tool of choice for everything along with zbrush. I'd love for it to really be more fun for typical manual asset creation task (It's great for procedural asset creation):

• More robust interactive modeling tools
  • Topobuild SOP is OK for retop, but not a fan of how it automatically caches the geometry and locks it in, this makes it weird to use for normal modeling IMO. But the tool is a step in the right direction.
  • The viewport state between Edit SOP and other node like polysplit etc is very glitchy (Viewport state, in general, is just )
  • Pattern Selection is a neat idea but definitely needs to be able to handle more sophisticated patterns
  • Allow edit SOP to do things like duplicate edges as we slide them across other edges or over the surface and also add snap feature within the SOP like you have in topobuild where we can snap and fuse points
  • I need to use the radials menus more before I can say anything about them, I honestly just mostly forget that they exist lol
  • Overall, creating and editing polygons needs to be faster and more interactive and viewports states need need religious intervention to remove the glitches and bad state updates.
  • We could also do with something like the Insertion Point LOP in SOPS for modeling purposes.
  • Viewport subdivision view mode must be a joke, It doesn't work at all while modeling in SOP context (Am I using it wrong or does it only work at object level?)
  • I like doing UVs in houdini (if they work without (UV Layout, UV Flatten etc) SOPS crashing and doing all sorts of weird shit (and yes sometimes we will have degenerate geometry so it needs to handle those without going crazy)) - these SOPS have improved with recent biulds of houdini though so many thanks for that.
  • UDIMs workflow could do with some re-evaluation (even though the current workflow is not bad).
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
51 posts
While I'd feel a bit bad for the guy making Modeler for Houdini, he does have a pretty slick looking system and it would be cool if some cues could be borrowed from his plugin for modeling for sure.
Houdini TD, I focus on tools for procedural asset creation.

www.jaworenko.design
  • Quick Links