Layering imported MaterialX materials

2025   5   1
11 posts
I've downloaded a couple of MaterialX base materials from the AMD library.

Importing and assigning them in Solaris wasn't particularly intuitive, but a couple of online tutorials were really helpful.

I'm now trying to import two base MaterialX materials, and layer them using a material mask (nothing fancy, just a standard material layering workflow).

I assumed the following would work - referencing the imported MaterialX materials using a 'USD material' node within a MaterialLibrary LOP - but I keep getting an error that these aren't native MaterialX nodes, and nothing renders.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Attachments:
image (19).png (127.5 KB)

スタッフ
4159 posts
Can you share a hip file? And which renderer are you using? Is the renderer providing the error message?
I'm o.d.d.
11 posts
I'm currently rendering with KarmaXPU, but the eventual end goal is to get a layered MaterialX file exported for UE5, so I'm indifferent about switching if that would help proceedings....

If I try to export the MaterialX subnet directly, I get a similar error:
Shader network contains non MtlX node /stage/materiallibrary1/mtlxsubnet/genericshader1
.hip file and error file are attached

The MaterialX source files are downloaded from AMD's library (complete with the spelling error of 'Ligth')
Edited by Scribbler - 2023年1月21日 19:59:22

Attachments:
MaterialX_v001.hip (614.5 KB)
Console_error.PNG (9.1 KB)

7741 posts
Scribbler
I'm currently rendering with KarmaXPU, but the eventual end goal is to get a layered MaterialX file exported for UE5, so I'm indifferent about switching if that would help proceedings....

I don't think that's going to happen. The material library makes valid USD, but isn't guaranteed to make valid MaterialX.
11 posts
I don't think that's going to happen. The material library makes valid USD, but isn't guaranteed to make valid MaterialX.

The Material Library, sure - but a 'MaterialX Subnet' should, shouldn't it?
(As long as you avoid the half dozen or so Houdini only nodes).
Seems a bit of a wasted opportunity if it doesn't... :S
7741 posts
Scribbler

The Material Library, sure - but a 'MaterialX Subnet' should, shouldn't it?
(As long as you avoid the half dozen or so Houdini only nodes).
Seems a bit of a wasted opportunity if it doesn't... :S

I've not had success with the materialX subnet's output of mtlx files. In your case, there isn't a mtlx 'reference' node that would allow for indicating where an external file is referenced by the material. USD references don't translate back to materialX.
  • Quick Links