Karma Ocio Color Transform not working

2330   6   1
3 posts
Hello there,
just realized that the OCIO color transform is not working in my karma mtlx subnet.
Its it broken or am i doing something wrong ?
Exported the same texture in different colorspaces, but dont see an influence by switching the from and to space of the texture.
working in a ocio environment.

Cheers,
Daniel

Attachments:
OCIO.png (129.9 KB)

7747 posts
It doesn't work in Karma XPU.
3 posts
jsmack
It doesn't work in Karma XPU.
oh noes, thanks for the clarification. so xpu is ignoring this node and the colorspace extension on the file name ? not good.

just did a test with cpu and everything is fine. is there a list somewhere with nodes that are not yet working with xpu?

struggling to get a 8bit png from karma that looks like a proper acescg to srgb conversion. in all my test the conversion didnt compensate the different primaries in srgb and aces and the colors where off. i not that rendering to 8bit srgb is stupid, but on this project its needed
466 posts
Crustedink
is there a list somewhere with nodes that are not yet working with xpu?
You can find some information about the current state of Karma XPU and how it compares feature-wise to CPU version here [www.sidefx.com] and here [www.sidefx.com].

Crustedink
struggling to get a 8bit png from karma that looks like a proper acescg to srgb conversion. in all my test the conversion didnt compensate the different primaries in srgb and aces and the colors where off. i not that rendering to 8bit srgb is stupid, but on this project its needed.
You can render to 32-bit EXR in ACEScg space and then batch convert the sequence to 8-bit sRGB either with ocioconvertor hoiiotool. The former ships with opencolorio-tools, the latter with Houdini. Or do the conversion in COPs.
Edited by ajz3d - 2023年1月24日 11:15:13
7747 posts
Crustedink
oh noes, thanks for the clarification. so xpu is ignoring this node and the colorspace extension on the file name ? not good.

Colorspace file name tokens should work in Karma XPU and CPU. You may need to change environment variables if you are relying on aliases or file name rules in an ocio 2.0+ profile.

Beware PNGs, they often store the color data unpremultiplied, and software like Houdini assumes that they are by premultiplying. There are some additional env vars to control this behavior globally. oiiotool also follows this spec with some command line arguments to disable it.
3 posts
thank you for the response. so we switched our pipeline back to cpu for now and everything way more predictable.
just one last question regarding karma sdr renderoutput. so the ocio config is taking care of all the color transform, right ? do you know which role is used for a sdr 8bit renderoutput ?
7747 posts
Crustedink
do you know which role is used for a sdr 8bit renderoutput ?

None? I'm not aware of any such output handling. Ocio only handles input. To apply output transforms, use the command line oiiotool or ocioconvert.
  • Quick Links