Houdini for Mac OS X Users

2539   5   2
8 posts
Hi everyone, I'd like to start learning Houdini on my MacBook Pro (macOS Ventura 13.1). However, after recently downloaded the 19.5.493 version and contacted support due to Scene View having visual issues on objects, they said my system Graphics card (Intel Iris) is not supported.
May I kindly ask if anyone knows if there is an older version that I could use on my MacBook or if there is a way to make it work? Changing my laptop is out of the question as I do not have the budget for that, but if buying an external graphics card works, I am willing to get one.
Edited by yolomag - 2023年1月26日 09:13:39
340 posts
Houdini rarely officially supports Apple graphics cards that currently come with laptops and desktops. I learned this with purchasing a Mac Pro. If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't purchase Apple products for serious 3d work. Apple's phones and laptops are pretty reliable but I have had to replace almost everything for defects in my recent Mac Pro. At least it was under warranty.
Edited by Island - 2023年1月26日 23:21:00
8 posts
Island
Houdini rarely officially supports Apple graphics cards that currently come with laptops and desktops. I learned this with purchasing a Mac Pro. If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't purchase Apple products for serious 3d work. Apple's phones and laptops are pretty reliable but I have had to replace almost everything for defects in my recent Mac Pro. At least it was under warranty.
Ah ok, thank you. Maybe I do need to look into a new laptop... Do you have any recommendations on laptops for serious 3D work? preferably on the economical side
636 posts
You can try the older builds.
H19 or H18.5
https://www.sidefx.com/download/daily-builds/?production=true&python3=true [www.sidefx.com]

For start learning the basic are the same.

When you can install linux or windows on a seperated volume it could MAYBE fix the problem.
8 posts
Thank you, I'll give them a try.
7 posts
Island
I'm using osx with a lot of software including Houdini, Maya and C4d. ZERO ISSUEs
  • Quick Links