Guidance needed with Arnold in Houdini - Utility Shader.

1025   1   0
1 posts
I've been dipping my toes in the water with Houdini on and off for a while. Recently at work we've been doing some space visualisation. I felt that Houdini could do a great job so I set out to follow Slava Sychs' tutorial using Arnold to render Earth. The results of the tut are great from the guide, however I have hit a huge stumbling block. Mainly, probably due to my lack of knowledge with Arnold. At the end of the guide he says... “For reduce clouds emission intensity on the dark side of the planet, or to get a mask for the texture of the dark side of the planet use Utility shader with Shade Mode Lambert. Multiply shader to your emission texture.”

To the best of my knowledge I have done this but instead of getting a mask of the dark side I get a mask that only shows on the light side. To troubleshoot I have used a checkerboard to help visualise my issue. I cannot figure out why this is happening. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-02-01 084850.png (1.8 MB)

679 posts
SadBoyPro,

what else are you expecting? lambert is a simple shading that gets bright where light hits it. You have to range it from 0-1 to 1-0 to invert it and use it as your cloud mask.

Cheers
CYTE
  • Quick Links