(Un)evenly distributed subdivision

1246   3   1
4 posts
Hello all,

My workflow often consists of importing a low poly geo from some other software (say Sketchup) to Houdini and then procedurally manipulating the geometry in order to produce real life mimicing imperfections (wear and tear) and variation. The weak spot of proceduralism in my workflow is often subdividing the incoming geo in order to get enough data to distort with noises and other procedures. All is good if the incoming geo is more or less even in its proportions (say a square or a cube) but I run into issues if there is a significant difference in its proportions (say very long and thin) since the basic subdivision sop gives me a very uneven "resolution" in the two or three axis I'm working in.

Is there a sop/asset that would subdivide any input geo and output an evenly distributed rectangular mesh? Remesh of course does this but it becomes easily very slow the random triangular mesh it produces is often not ideal to model human made objects with (more or less) even surfaces and edges. Or should I try to build my own by combining for instance the Labs polyslice and subdivide sops?

best,

Jaakko
4512 posts
Try Divide SOP -> Bricker.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
900 posts
pietjaakko
Remesh of course does this but it becomes easily very slow the random triangular mesh it produces is often not ideal to model human made objects with (more or less) even surfaces and edges. Or should I try to build my own by combining for instance the Labs polyslice and subdivide sops?

best,

Jaakko

you could try Labs Fast Remesh (maybe in adaptive mode?) and see if it speeds up your workflow.
4 posts
Ah wow great. Thanks to both of you for the great tips! Very much appreciated!
  • Quick Links