Why are images locked behind a login page?

1311   5   1
6 posts
I switch computers a lot and at work I use Houdini on most of them.

Now every time I need information I end up on this forum which has been a huge help!

The only thing that I am getting increasingly frustrated about is that all the screenshots and hip-files is behind a login page and for me its not preferred to login every single time. This seems very counter intuitive.

Would it be possible to open up the screenshots and maybe hip-files for non logged in accounts? This seems to be a small change that will help a lot to support anyone that is in need for a quick answer.

Thanks.
636 posts
I think it is a safety for the users because the data can't be copyed by index bot's.

Virus developers can't use the forum as storage for there attacks.

It's logged who downloaded the files.

I don't know the canadian law or if there are special regulations. But it helps in such cases when you know who is the publisher and who is the downloader.
6 posts
To that I agree and i understand that there should be limitations in what files are available for anyone.

But In the case op .png and .jpg it would be helpful to have it readily available and gives me enough information if its worth it to log in to download the files. Anything else that the browser cant pick up can stay behind a login page.

free the images
Edited by Blikpils - 2023年3月30日 09:38:19
8539 posts
Blikpils
But In the case op .png and .jpg
don't forget .gif, since as they say, one animated gif is worth a thousand jpgs (or at least 2+)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
6 posts
How could i forget .GIFs Yes, you are right!

It would be great if SESI could change this and improve the forum UX
466 posts
I second @OP's request.

tamte
don't forget .gif, since as they say, one animated gif is worth a thousand jpgs (or at least 2+)
Oh, no. :o

GIF is incredibly inefficient in storing animation. Being an antiquated format, it's about time for it to be blasted into oblivion.

I hope SideFX will replace it ASAP with a proper WebM support, or an internal server-side converter that would transcode those files into WebM. What you can fit in a 10 MB animated GIF file, you can easily fit into a 200 kB WebM container. With superior quality, exposed playback controls and an ability to loop the video.
Edited by ajz3d - 2023年3月31日 16:13:00
  • Quick Links