1748   8   1
42 posts
Hello
AMD Graphics has 2 Graphic Drivers for Linux
" All-Open and Workstation "
Which one of these driver for me ?
My GPU is RX 5700 XT
Rocky Linux 8.7
I would like exactly know which driver should i install and compatible with houdini ??

Thanks For HELP
42 posts
Any body can help ?
スタッフ
463 posts
It is recommended that you use Workstation if available.
Edited by johnmather - 2023年3月31日 13:47:39
42 posts
Workstation is avaible
But workstation driver goes with amdgpu-pro i think amdgpu-pro is not for rx 5000 and 6000 series
In the general im not sure about this ...
I want sure and then install workstation is for rx 5000 series or not
464 posts
As far as I know, libre AMD GPU drivers embedded into the kernel do not support OpenCL. You need the closed-source proprietary amdgpu-pro for that. That's most likely why the "workstation" driver requires this package.

I always find it funny when on various GNU/Linux e-mail lists people tend to recommend AMD cards as if they were more friendly to open source community than NVIDIA's drivers are. Perhaps for ordinary users who only play games it may appear so, but if you want something more than that, you need to install the proprietary driver.
Edited by ajz3d - 2023年3月31日 19:18:29
42 posts
Thanks
proprietary avaibles into official amd repository but when i install its driver , houdini not run !
Opencl error
Edited by SMC7192 - 2023年4月1日 01:46:19
2 posts
Development of the FOSS driver is a Work In Progress. For game and some app it's ok but not ready for all.
For the OpenCL part, AMD invest more in HIP/ROCm, mainly with the FOSS driver. Like Nvidia invest more in CUDA...

For me, the FOSS driver as some bug with the Houdini viewport. amdgpu-pro work very well.

@ajz3d: OpenCL is never part of the Linux kernel.
464 posts
Try searching the repository for OpenCL ICD (Installable Client Driver) package for AMD cards. On NVIDIA systems ICD is required for OpenCL to work in Houdini, so perhaps it's the same case with AMD. Just guessing.
42 posts
For vulkan should be install ??
Command use for install amdgpu workstation i used

amdgpu-install --usecase=workstation --opencl=legacy
  • Quick Links