$JOB/hda and $HIP/hda don't correctly load HDAs

1091   8   0
8 posts
Currently trying to figure out how to setup a project-based HDA so a multiple people can use it easily. Based on the official documentation [www.sidefx.com], defining $JOB in a .hip file should automatically load any HDAs that are in the $JOB/hda folder.

So far I haven't managed to get them show up - repeatedly tried opening/closing Houdini and created a bunch of different hda's to test. File paths are loading fine via $JOB so that is defined correctly.

Any ideas appreciated!
143 posts
Rename the folder from "hda" to "otls", which is the current identifier. It was changed because hdas can maintain hdas themselves. But I am not sure anymore. Just rename it and everything should work.
8 posts
Thanks! That seemed to work halfway, but $JOB still isn't working correctly. It seems like $HIP/otls works, but $JOB/otls still doesn't load anything. Meaning that if my .hip file is in a deeper directory for example, it stops finding the HDA in my tab menu.

In my example, my directory looks like this:

$JOB/otls
$JOB/projects/xxx.hip

Which still isn't finding anything, but it should right?
7741 posts
axelschoterman
Thanks! That seemed to work halfway, but $JOB still isn't working correctly. It seems like $HIP/otls works, but $JOB/otls still doesn't load anything. Meaning that if my .hip file is in a deeper directory for example, it stops finding the HDA in my tab menu.

$JOB/otls
$JOB/projects/xxx.hip

Which still isn't finding anything, but it should right?

I don't think $JOB is added to the Houdini path, so that won't work.
8 posts
Thanks, should I add a something line to the env file in that case?

I was thinking it should work out of the box considering that's what on the documentation - plus the project creation window includes a hda folder by default.
Edited by axelschoterman - 2023年3月30日 12:45:27

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-03-30 184245.jpg (462.3 KB)

7741 posts
axelschoterman
I was thinking it should work out of the box considering that's what on the documentation - plus the project creation window includes a hda folder by default.

looks like it is added to the path. I'd tried it before without it working, but it does work now. placing and hda in the otls folder in $JOB is adding it to the scan path in my test-which isn't a behavior I'd want as I don't use $JOB.
8 posts
Hmm okay thanks for trying - I wonder why it's not working for me. Is your .hip file in a lower directory too?

I found that HDAs aren't unloaded during a session - so if they are loaded once (for example via $HIP/otls) and then you switch to a different .hip file in a different location, it will still keep it loaded until you restart.
7741 posts
axelschoterman
Hmm okay thanks for trying - I wonder why it's not working for me. Is your .hip file in a lower directory too?

I found that HDAs aren't unloaded during a session - so if they are loaded once (for example via $HIP/otls) and then you switch to a different .hip file in a different location, it will still keep it loaded until you restart.

I didn't open a hip file. $JOB is set to the home directory when starting Houdini for me. so I put otls in my home directory and they were found on startup. I very much dislike this behavior as it's a major security hole as houdini auto runs scripts in the path.

yes, houdini does not unload anything.
143 posts
axelschoterman

$JOB/otls
$JOB/projects/xxx.hip

The HIP files belong in the root directory, what you use is already the project itself. Once you nest the HIP files, access to the hdas will no longer be valid. (There might be a workaround, since access to the $JOB variable remains. But the hdas are not recognized this way.)

$JOB/otls/asset.hda
$JOB/file.hip

For me, the preflight is green for both HIP and JOB. (Using otls).
Edited by viklc - 2023年3月30日 15:29:00

Attachments:
01.png (8.6 KB)

• Quick Links