Which is better to learn for Houdini and UE? C++ or Python

1437   7   1
83 posts
Hi I have use Houdini for years ,Mainly used in VFX and procedural modeling direction , I know some basic VEX , and recently i want to learn a codeding language, I also want to learn UE in the future

So Which is better to learn ? C++ or Python
143 posts
For Houdini I would say Python rather than C++. Especially for the beginning. You will get more help with Python here as well.

However, how deep you can access Houdini in relation to C++ is not clear to me. At least I can say that the HOM API is very extensive, and as far as I know you can extend it yourself, but with C++.

I think if you are purely interested in writing tools or scripts that make life easier for you or others, and not very deep into the architecture, so in terms of programming your own solvers, etc.. then you are quite well served with Python. And you still have VEX. The two in combination are already very powerful.

In Unreal, you currently have no choice other than to work with C++ or with Blueprints. However, VERSE [www.youtube.com], the new language, was recently presented at the GDC. Looks very interesting, but it needs time until it is established, has enough resources to learn, and so on.

But in the end it's all up to your preference, I think.
Edited by viklc - 2023年4月6日 22:15:54
1737 posts
UE has python, handy for similar things to houdini python; pipeline, UI etc.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
4509 posts
For Houdini: VEX. Python for general automation, external tools, scripts, etc.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
83 posts
vik_lc
For Houdini I would say Python rather than C++. Especially for the beginning. You will get more help with Python here as well.

However, how deep you can access Houdini in relation to C++ is not clear to me. At least I can say that the HOM API is very extensive, and as far as I know you can extend it yourself, but with C++.

I think if you are purely interested in writing tools or scripts that make life easier for you or others, and not very deep into the architecture, so in terms of programming your own solvers, etc.. then you are quite well served with Python. And you still have VEX. The two in combination are already very powerful.

In Unreal, you currently have no choice other than to work with C++ or with Blueprints. However, VERSE [www.youtube.com], the new language, was recently presented at the GDC. Looks very interesting, but it needs time until it is established, has enough resources to learn, and so on.

But in the end it's all up to your preference, I think.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply
83 posts
mestela

Thank you for your reply
83 posts
animatrix_
For Houdini: VEX. Python for general automation, external tools, scripts, etc.

Thank your for your reply
143 posts
mestela

Oh sry for the disinformation, thanks for the hint.

happybabywzy
Thank you very much for your detailed reply

You are welcome.
  • Quick Links